• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Rear hubs... new or rebuild?

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
OK, so now that my 5-speed is in and working I have been driving my car more often. Yesterday I hear this "clicking noise" coming from the left rear wheel. On investigation I find that the hub bearing appears to be bad.
TRF gets $300 for a rebuild. If I get the parts and take it to a machine shop to press out the axle, I am gambling that the hub may be destroyed in the process.
Good parts new hub seems like the way to go. Agree? :confuse:

hondo402000

Darth Vader
If I get to that point or project I will be getting either Goodparts uprated hubs or the CV conversion

Brodsky just did his and has a pretty awsome detail on his site

sure he will chime in too

Hondo

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Elliot,

I decided against rebuilding old metal. Not that it can't be done properly, but I just went with Richard's axles: TR6 T/A Repair and GP Axles

And fix those studs once and for all while you are in there.

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Paul- I just got off the phone with Richard. Looks like I am headed in that direction. Richard told me he <span style="font-style: italic">CURRENTLY </span>only has the hub to fit 3/8" studs which will mean drilling and tapping for new 3/8" (coarse) threads. I asked Richard about using keenserts instead of tapping into the aluminum. Richard did not think the keenserts were needed because of the larger diameter of stud, and because the thread is coarse.

simpson

Uh-oh, A lot of us have done the keensert upgrade using the original 5/16 hub studs, and have gone with or are planning to go with the GP upgraded hubs/CV shafts. IF the Goodparts upgraded hubs are drilled for 3/8 studs, I wonder if that 1/16 play will matter around the six studs.

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
simpson said:
Uh-oh, A lot of us have done the keensert upgrade using the original 5/16 hub studs, and have gone with or are planning to go with the GP upgraded hubs/CV shafts. IF the Goodparts upgraded hubs are drilled for 3/8 studs, I wonder if that 1/16 play will matter around the six studs.

Simpson.... I did not mean to mislead you (or anyone)....sorry for any confusion.
<span style="color: #FF0000">Good Parts does offer either 5/16" OR 3/8".</span> Currently, Richard only has hubs drilled for 3/8" on his shelf. Since I want them ASAP I will have to take the 3/8" or have to wait until he makes more 5/16" hubs. Rest easy... 5/16" IS AVAILABLE if you want them.
Sarasota... one of my favorite places. My inlaws used to have a place at the Meadows. The Drydock for a burger and beer to watch the sun go down is my idea of a perfect end to an evening!

HerronScott

Darth Vader
So are the GoodParts hub assemblies rebuildable? Thinking long term for when my son inherits my TR4A's. :smile:

Scott

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
HerronScott said:
So are the GoodParts hub assemblies rebuildable? Thinking long term for when my son inherits my TR4A's. :smile:

Scott

Good question Scott! We must think alike for I asked Richard Good the very same question. Richard told me it is quite easy to change out the bearing if need be.

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Elliot,

Good to hear!

Scott

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
How long will TRF take to rebuild your hubs, or do they have them on the shelf? Do you need to send in your cores?

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
mallard said:
How long will TRF take to rebuild your hubs, or do they have them on the shelf? Do you need to send in your cores?

TRF quoted me 4 week turn-around if they rebuild mine for $299.
Off the shelf is still $299 with a $200 core charge. Once they inspect mine and deem it is rebuildable, they say they will refund my $200.
To me it makes no sense to spend $299 with TRF when I can buy new and improved hubs for $50 more from GP... to me its a no brainer.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I've argued with more than one set of those hubs... If I had a TR-6 I'd be straight for Richard's conversion. Elliot's right, its a no-brainer.

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Update on rear hub...
Today I took my rear hub apart to see what was causing the awful noise I was getting. No surprise here... some of the rollers on the inner bearing are disintegrating. These bearings by the way have less than a 1,000 miles on them.
Guess I'll rebuild them, but still going to go with the GP hubs.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
YIKES!!! That's gotta fall under "catastrophic failure" category!

Where'd ya get those puppies, Elliot? Are they a "real" bearings (Timken, etc.) or 'white box' ones?

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well doc... I purchased them NEW from one of the MAJOR suppliers. :whistle:
I'm just glad that I didn't lose a wheel!

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I'd send them some pictures, right after I placed my order with Richard, that is....

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I have been thinking about that Paul. My order is placed with Richard. He should have them on Wednesday. Actually, I'll be at Richard's tomorrow... he is only about a half-hour away from me. Richard is lending me a jig to drill and tap for the new 3/8" studs.

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Elliot,

Any chance they were not assembled with the right end-flat when they were rebuilt? Did you have any problems getting them apart? I know you mentioned that was a concern with rebuilding them.

Scott

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Scott- Good questions! They were assembeled correctly, however it's possible the end float was not properly set. If I did not do a good job on the end float, its hard to point fingers.
As far as getting them apart that is a whole story in itself...
I stopped at a friend who used to have a TR6 (he sold it some years ago and bought a Healey). When I mentioned about my hub he said "hey, I have the original Triumph tool to take the hubs apart". Sure enough, he got it for me. He told me that a guy who had garage and repaired Triumphs had it from a Triumph dealer. This guy lent it to my friend. Unfortunately, this gentleman passed away before my friend was done with it. So it got put to good use!

HerronScott

Darth Vader
I don't guess your friend wants to lend them out to the British Car Forum as a travelling tool does he since he no longer has a TR6? :smile:

Scott