Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
Would anyone have an idea where I could get a pair of rear brake backing plates from an early disc brake Sprite? I'm converting my Bugeye to front discs..
Bill,
i have the early drum brakes on the rear of my Bugeye along with a front disc brake conversion and they work well. That said, I see rear backing plates on eBay from time to time.
Rut
Rut,
Not only Backing Plates but you'll need wheel cylinders as well. But of course you knew that. E-Brake rods will need to be changed / converted. Frank C. method was to cut and thread rods and join back together with double female union. Have pics if needed. Remember to replace front and rear hoses as well.
Jim,
the process of the complete conversion of the rear is what put it on the back burner for me. As long as my early rear brakes work as well as they do I'll keep them. This is one of those things that may happen when/if I convert to wire wheels and use my '73 rear end which is complete and in good shape.
thanks, Rut
Rut, did you convert the master cylinder as well? I have fitted the front with discs, but have made no other changes yet. I don't seem to have very much pedal. So was thinking smaller master cylinder, later rear drums (with smaller wheel cylinders), etc would help. Just how much pedal do you have with just front discs fitted?
Bill, this is my set up using 2 Tilton 3/4" master cylinders. This is what I started with, so I can't speak for the original set up. I sent my original to Sierra to be converted and should have them back soon. I'm using the old style rear drum brake and the pedal is good.
Rut
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.