• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Group statistics

Members:
Threads:
Discussions:
Photos:

Latest posts

Group events

Photography

Real Camera

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
That's a new on for me. I've heard it called the white rocket before but never the white whale.
That's what the real fighter jocks called it. :LOL:

OP
waltesefalcon

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I found LR on mobile and downloaded it, and played with it some while I was waiting on my son today. Messing with the mask feature was pretty interesting. I wound up making a new cell phone wallpaper with it.
Screenshot_20230610_172115_One UI Home.jpg

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I've never messed with LR mobile version, only LR Classic for desktop;

OP
waltesefalcon

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I was waiting on the lobby of an Embassy Suites in Oklahoma City in hour three of a scheduled two, having already read the book I brought, when I had this bright idea to see if Adobe made a mobile version of LR, having used their mobile version of Acrobat for work. It wound up making the remaining hour more bearable.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Just for fun, my take on the furry cow.
_DSC4477_01.jpg

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Hey Basil, can a drawn mask in Lightroom be reused in other adjustments? In Darktable, I can create a mask to adjust levels, then switch to color correction and select that same mask, invert it, then use it on the rest of the photo.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Hey Basil, can a drawn mask in Lightroom be reused in other adjustments? In Darktable, I can create a mask to adjust levels, then switch to color correction and select that same mask, invert it, then use it on the rest of the photo.
That's a good question. Lemme try....stand by.
Short answer is yes. Basically I can do a mask (in multiple different ways) and, for example, adjust what ever settings I want to that mask. I can also duplicate that make and adjust other settings if I want. One of the coolest things about LR masking, and a feature I really use a lot, is the concept of "intersecting masks". You can create a mask based on any type of mask, then "intersect that mask with another mask.

OP
waltesefalcon

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
My 18~140mm Nikkor lens arrived, so I decided to take it out and try it. This was a lens that was very highly recommended by Doc, and after using it some I can see why. It worked well for landscapes as well as closeups, and everything in between.

Today I tried to work on my understanding of light some more, and to that end I mostly played around with the f stop. Virtually all of these photos were taken at 1000 speed and iso 800, with the f stop anywhere from 5.6 to 11. Getting the good contrast of the stones on the tower at Jed Johnson lake, as well as the contrast in the clouds, and the water I used f stop of 11. Picking up as much detail on the flowers as I could, I used f stop 5.6. Most of the others are taken at 8.

I have decided that I am not a good enough photographer to be messing around with editing software yet, so I cancelled my lightroom for the time being. Right now I need to focus on trying to understand how to take good photos. Once I have a working understanding of photography, then I will allow myself the luxury of editing software. Until that time I am going old school and using the camera in 100% manual mode (manual f stop, manual iso, manual shutter speed, manual focus), and the most photo editing I am doing is resizing photos so that they will upload here.
_DSC4798 (2).JPG
_DSC4799 (2).JPG
_DSC4827 (2).JPG
_DSC4833 (2).JPG
_DSC4840 (2).JPG
_DSC4843 (2).JPG
_DSC4846 (2).JPG
_DSC4851 (2).JPG

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Getting proper exposure when you have very bright background but a scene with lots of bright and shadows is next to impossible without either using software or, if your camera has the capability, using "High Dynamic Range" (HDR). When you shoot in HDR, you usually want to be on a tripod, Then, when you press the shutter, the camera will actually take three successive images (pr more but three is a standard default). One image will be over exposed to get details in the shadows, the next will be normal exposure, then one more will be underexposed for the highlights. Then the camera will "blend" the images and give you one image that is well exposed across the board. Does your camera have an HDR mode?

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
First off, congratulations on getting a DSLR. Just the difference in lag time when pressing the shutter is huge from a cell phone.
I think your plan to tackle one thing at a time is wise. Shooting with the sun to the side and behind you should give e you nice results. Mind you, Buffalo will not always cooperate. Magic hours at the beginning and end of the day help as well. I like your tower shot. The sun is off to one side. With the turtle and flowers, try getting really low to enter their world. I think you'll see a difference when you do that.
Darktable is free and is ported to all OS's as far as I know. Linux and Windows for sure when you want to delve into the software side.

OP
waltesefalcon

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Getting proper exposure when you have very bright background but a scene with lots of bright and shadows is next to impossible without either using software or, if your camera has the capability, using "High Dynamic Range" (HDR). When you shoot in HDR, you usually want to be on a tripod, Then, when you press the shutter, the camera will actually take three successive images (pr more but three is a standard default). One image will be over exposed to get details in the shadows, the next will be normal exposure, then one more will be underexposed for the highlights. Then the camera will "blend" the images and give you one image that is well exposed across the board. Does your camera have an HDR mode?
My camera has HDR. For the time being, though, I'm going to focus on taking things slowly and progress towards using things like HDR once I trust my own capabilities more. I want to be halfway competent on my own merits. Some of you guys' photos are simply amazing and while I know y'all use some form of editing I also know that you have a much greater skill set and more knowledge. I just learned about the light meter on my camera, and how to use it this afternoon. Right now I'm still trying to learn how to walk before I run.

OP
waltesefalcon

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
First off, congratulations on getting a DSLR. Just the difference in lag time when pressing the shutter is huge from a cell phone.
I think your plan to tackle one thing at a time is wise. Shooting with the sun to the side and behind you should give e you nice results. Mind you, Buffalo will not always cooperate. Magic hours at the beginning and end of the day help as well. I like your tower shot. The sun is off to one side. With the turtle and flowers, try getting really low to enter their world. I think you'll see a difference when you do that.
Darktable is free and is ported to all OS's as far as I know. Linux and Windows for sure when you want to delve into the software side.
Thanks Greg. I probably should have been shooting towards the west this morning instead of towards the east, but I wasn't thinking about it enough. I try getting down next to flowers next time.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
The Texas Thistle and Indian Blanket blooms are very nice! I also like the tower - what / where is that?

OP
waltesefalcon

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
The Texas Thistle and Indian Blanket blooms are very nice! I also like the tower - what / where is that?
Thanks Bas. I went out to Jed Johnson lake at the Wichita Mountain Wildlife Refuge.

As I'm learning more about f stop, do you think it wild be advisable to shoot landscapes with an f stop of f11 to f16 with a lower ISO, 400 or so, and a slower shutter speed? I've been keeping my ISO at about 800 and running my speed at 1000 and f stop at 8. I also need to be smarter about framing and get the sun either to the side or behind me.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
One of the coolest things about LR masking, and a feature I really use a lot, is the concept of "intersecting masks". You can create a mask based on any type of mask, then "intersect that mask with another mask.
Your video seems to cover what has been in Darktable for at least 6 years. Parametric masks, or a combination of parametric and drawn masks.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Your video seems to cover what has been in Darktable for at least 6 years. Parametric masks, or a combination of parametric and drawn masks.
Darktable looks like a great alternative to those not invested in the Adobe suite of software.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
My investment in Adobe was in the thousands. 5 versions of Photoshop starting in '92 with V 2.5. Illustrator 9, Font Manager and CS4 creative suite. When the subscription scheme came along I was done with them.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
My investment in Adobe was in the thousands. 5 versions of Photoshop starting in '92 with V 2.5. Illustrator 9, Font Manager and CS4 creative suite. When the subscription scheme came along I was done with them.
We went thru about the same experience, both with Adobe (Pagemaker) and Corel. Eleven floppies and money. Published a 16-page tabloid monthly for a few years. Mitsy has gone back to Adobe for graphics production, so she's in the "spider's web" so-to-speak. The various ouptters all use Adobe wares to produce product.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I never did purchase stand alone LR but I did buy an older version PS once. I do subscribe to the Adobe Cloud suit for $10 a month. I figure I could spend 10 bucks on a lot worse things (and I’m sure I have). I realize why some may not like the subscription model, but so far I’ve been happy with it. For one thing it gives me access to many more apps than just Lightroom or Photoshop and I get all the updates as soon as possible. I like the seamless integration between all the Adobe products and the rather large availability of presets and plugins. But whatever works for ya is what works. Different strokes and all that.