• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Group statistics

Members:
Threads:
Discussions:
Photos:

Latest posts

Group events

Photography

Real Camera

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
After consulting with Doc, I looked for and found a Nikon D7500 for a decent price ($597), and an AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm f3.5-5.6 ED VR lens for ($104.50). On top of that Doc added an AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm 1:4-5.6G ED VR and a AF-P DX Nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G VR. The 18-140mm lens has not arrived yet, but the camera and the pair of lenses from Doc have, so this morning I went out to the refuge. Other than a poor photo of the cat, these are the first photos taken with this camera. I mostly did a poor job today, a lot of over exposure, which surprised me, I was shooting at ISO 800, as I figured that would be a good setting for outdoors, but I was either wrong in that regard, or generally screwed something up. I did, however, get a few decent photos, shown here, along with one of the badly over exposed ones. The first three I had Light room auto edit to correct. The fourth and fifth are just as I took them. The last is one of the bad ones.
_DSC4477.jpg
_DSC4470.jpg
_DSC4474-2.jpg

_DSC4476.jpg
_DSC4474.jpg
_DSC4464.jpg

OP
waltesefalcon

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Looks like you got a decent combo. How close were you to the big furry cow?
Thanks. I was maybe 30 yds away. Close enough that he stood up because of my presence and was letting me know it didn't please him. I snapped three quick ones and got back in the car, much to the relief of the lady I was with.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
That "big furry cow" shot works. From the info you could close the aperture about two stops, ∱5.6 or 6.3. Recover the shadow stuff in software. What "mode" are you using? If trying M, go to the "no flash" dial settings for a bit and see what the camera chooses?

Bison.jpg

And don't make the lady think you're nuts for trying to take photos! :giggle:

Last edited:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
_DSC44771.jpg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
And that flower shot is sweet! Just some fiddly software playing:

_DSC4474-3.jpg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
And one of the first lessons is this: That about one percent of what you shoot will be close to what you intended!

Same way to get to Carnegi Hall...

You already beat the odds. πŸ˜‰

OP
waltesefalcon

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Doc, I am using 'M' mode. I will change it to no flash and fiddle with the aperture some on my next outing. Thanks for the compliment on the flower photo. I was rather happy with that one.

Bas, What did you do with the furry cow? Yours seems to have more contrast on the bull himself, while leaving the foreground and background mostly alone.

OP
waltesefalcon

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I think I may be starting to get the hang of this. I mostly just screwed around experimenting with the f stop, shutter speed, and ISO. It was bright enough out that I kept the ISO between 500 and 800, and the f stop up around 8 to 11.
_DSC4759.jpg
_DSC4715.jpg
_DSC4549.jpg
_DSC4576.jpg
_DSC4731.jpg
_DSC4605.jpg
_DSC4708.jpg

OP
waltesefalcon

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
While the photos aren't all that great I stopped to take a gander at this herd and heard two buffalo bellowing at each other, and fighting. So I quickly grabbed the 55-200mm, didn't even look at the settings and started snapping. I really wish they had been on my side of the fence. The refuge has fences, not to keep the animals out but to keep people off of the majority of the refuge. It's 59,000 acres and people are allowed on roughly 20,000 acres. The animals are allowed to move back and forth there is a gate every half mile or so with signs warning against tresspassing.
_DSC4643.jpg
_DSC4644.jpg
_DSC4646.jpg
_DSC4649.jpg
_DSC4650.jpg

Attachments

• _DSC4645.jpg
    _DSC4645.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
  • _DSC4645.jpg
    _DSC4645.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 6
OP
waltesefalcon

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Bonus points for whomever correctly identifies this one.
_DSC4724.jpg

OP
waltesefalcon

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Ding, ding, ding. There were two of them out there today but they were never close enough to catch in one frame. I figured it would be easy for you or Doc. Vance is a good guess, but considering our location it could just as easily be out of Sheppard.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Ding, ding, ding. There were two of them out there today but they were never close enough to catch in one frame. I figured it would be easy for you or Doc. Vance is a good guess, but considering our location it could just as easily be out of Sheppard.
Yeah could be one of those two.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
AKA: White Whale.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Bas, What did you do with the furry cow? Yours seems to have more contrast on the bull himself, while leaving the foreground and background mostly alone.
The first thing I did was to use "Subject Mask" in Lightroom. This selected (masked) just the Bison. Once just the Bison was selected, I increased exposure about 2/3, decreased highlights about 45%, increased shadows 25%, decreased whites a bit as well as blacks. Next I increased texture and clarity.

Then I made a second mask that was the first mask inverted (everything BUT the Bison was selected.) The only thing I did here was to bring down the exposure by about the same amount I had increased exposure with the previous mask.

Lastly, I selected just the sky and further decreased exposure and decreased contrast. (I just fiddled with adjustments until I liked it).

OP
waltesefalcon

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
The first thing I did was to use "Subject Mask" in Lightroom. This selected (masked) just the Bison. Once just the Bison was selected, I increased exposure about 2/3, decreased highlights about 45%, increased shadows 25%, decreased whites a bit as well as blacks. Next I increased texture and clarity.

Then I made a second mask that was the first mask inverted (everything BUT the Bison was selected.) The only thing I did here was to bring down the exposure by about the same amount I had increased exposure with the previous mask.

Lastly, I selected just the sky and further decreased exposure and decreased contrast. (I just fiddled with adjustments until I liked it).
Thanks, I've just started playing around in LightRoom, and have not yet discovered masking for myself. I'll have to mess with that later.

I'm in the City today with my son, he had to come up for his IRR muster.