• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

T-Series Ready For The Media Blaster

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
After 3 months of heating, soaking, scraping undercoating off the TF, it's ready for the media blaster. The car was undercoated many years ago using the old method and old tar type material, being 1/4 inch thick in some places! I have literally scraped 10 pounds of undercoating off the car! If I ever buy another car to do, it will not have been undercoated previously! I wouldn't get near another one with a ten foot pole! Undercoating also hides a multitude of sins, fortunately there were no surprises unearthed on this car! Glad that's over, whew! On to better things. :victorious: PJ

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
woo hoo! almost done scraping mine - I have a bucket of nastiness (I've kept it :smile: and will hopefully painting before too too long also

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
JP, This brings to mind how a lot of people look at these cars and wonder why we value them so much. Few people on the outside realize just how much work goes into restoring one of these cars. This thing of mine gobbled up 3 months of work in a snap removing undercoating, when the time could have been devoted doing something else. But, no one twisted my arm to buy it, which proves, I'm just a glutton for punishment! Aren't we all! :highly_amused: PJ

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
My TD was "undercoated" too--with several inches of greasy muck. I scraped it all off by hand, then cleaned with solvent, wire brush, and finally detergent. Very tedious, but probably not close to what you had to do. But it's worth it when you see that tired old bucket of bolts start to look like something.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Well it's all dirty work Steve, irregardless of the fact that you had a lot or not so much to clean up, it's a job none of us need or want! But you are right, when everything starts to come together, it's all worthwhile. Isn't it? :excitement: PJ

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
A nice job to have behind you! My old MGB had the stuff underneath, had no interest in trying to pull it. Luckily the Bugeye I'm doing now didn't have any (and won't get any) so I was spared that job. Sounds nasty.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
From the two front fenders, the quarter panel wheel wells and the running boards, I have a box of scrapings that must weigh over 10 pounds! That,s not including the rear fenders! I'm just guessing, but I would say, due to the tar type of material used, the car was undercoated 30 to 40 years ago, maybe longer and laid on from 1/8th to 1/4 of an inch thick. Modern undercoating is much thinner, not much thicker than paint and totally different material. Never again!! :nonod: :disgust: PJ