• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Rattle Snake!

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
This morning, my wife was going out the side door from our utility room to move the water sprinkler that was watering our yard. As she was about to step out, she looked down and there, curled up on the stoop, was a rattle snake she estimated as medium size, maybe 3 ft long! (We have those around here). She ran back in the house to get me, but by the time I got out there the snake was gone. I tried to find it, but it had slithered off! One of the little joys of living in the desert.

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
I had one two months ago on my back porch, making so much noise I did not believe it was a snake at first. But it was and it was large! I think it was advertising for a mate. We find about one a year on the property. I think they are more afraid of us, but I don't want to test that.

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Closest rattlers to us are timber rattlers up in the mountains about 20 miles away. We usually get the rat snakes or garter snakes, although there are quite a few species around, including copperheads. I'm pretty sure we have a rat snake somewhere on the property as our mouse problem completely disappeared about two months ago.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Closest rattlers to us are timber rattlers up in the mountains about 20 miles away. We usually get the rat snakes or garter snakes, although there are quite a few species around, including copperheads. I'm pretty sure we have a rat snake somewhere on the property as our mouse problem completely disappeared about two months ago.

Most of the snakes we have in our property are Bull Snakes, which we love because they tend to keep the Rattle Snakes at bay.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Saxman:

If you got copper heads he is a bad fellow N they are almost as fast as greased lightning .

Ill take a rattler any day of the week cuz he let me know he is there---:applause:

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Saxman:

If you got copper heads he is a bad fellow N they are almost as fast as greased lightning .

Ill take a rattler any day of the week cuz he let me know he is there---:applause:

Copper heads! We had those back in West Virginia when I was growing up. Rattle snakes are very common around here, but the young ones often don't have developed rattles and thus you don't always know they are there. Always a good idea to wear good boots and long pants when walking around these parts.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
BUT you guys know what is really bad here in Arizona:

Scorpions they come out soon as it get hot and they kinny fast too.

N them little ones ain't no babies ,they about three years old and deadly poison.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
BUT you guys know what is really bad here in Arizona:

Scorpions they come out soon as it get hot and they kinny fast too.

N them little ones ain't no babies ,they about three years old and deadly poison.

"Here in Arizona"? I thought you were in California? Did you move? (Agree about the scorpions)

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Years ago I was working at a camp - we had a rainy night so were gathered in a larger cabin for games and singing - a couple of kids went to the outhouses and came back to say there was a bear. So, we went to scare away the bear - and just started when we heard a rattle in front of us (Yup they've got them in Canada too) Had to kill the snake first before we could scare away the bear - ahhh youth.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
"Here in Arizona"? I thought you were in California? Did you move? (Agree about the scorpions)

NO Basil I did not move:
Just bought a second home in Phoenix Arizona in 2010. I was born and raised in Prescott lot of old school friends down here.:cowboy:

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss

NO Basil I did not move:
Just bought a second home in Phoenix Arizona in 2010. I was born and raised in Prescott lot of old school friends down here.:cowboy:

Ah, that's cool. Well, if we're talking Phoenix I guess it's not cool ;)

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Man it is hot all over it has been 115 to 120 degrees in Palm springs CA.

What is cool about Phoenix is during the summer months @ 115 degrees most stores you shop at give you a bottle of cold water when you come in now that's :cool:

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss

Man it is hot all over it has been 115 to 120 degrees in Palm springs CA.

What is cool about Phoenix is during the summer months @ 115 degrees most stores you shop at give you a bottle of cold water when you come in now that's :cool:

One time a couple years ago, I drove to Yuma (Proving Grounds) on a business trip. When I was done with an afternoon meeting, I went out to the parking lot to get in my car to drive to the hotel, but I could not get in the car because it was too hot! I think the temperature was around 120 give or take. When I opened the door to the car, it felt like I was standing in front of a blast furnace. I had to open both doors and let it stand for a while before I could get it. Then I had to use a cloth to hold the steering wheel and to shift!

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Ah but it's "dry heat" - so they say.
Not in my book. Hot is hot. My son just moved from Bangkok to Florida. After Thailand, he laughs at what they call hot down there. He just visited a Packard Museum in Ft. Lauderdale. Many old Packards. We had a 1941 160 Club Coupe from 1944 to 1948. Drove to Florida in it.

catfood

Jedi Knight
I dream of hot... sigh.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Years ago I heard a preacher talking about how hard it was to preach about h*ll in Arizona - he said "for a third of the year it is too nice for anyone to care and for the rest of the year it is too hot for anyone to be impressed." :grin:

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Years ago I heard a preacher talking about how hard it was to preach about h*ll in Arizona - he said "for a third of the year it is too nice for anyone to care and for the rest of the year it is too hot for anyone to be impressed." :grin:

:winner1:

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Now I know why all those Canadians are flocking to Arizona.---:applause: