• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

quixotic, perhaps, but certainly beautiful

CurtisJ

Jedi Hopeful
You guys will find this article entertaining: Second British Invasion? An MG RV8 Enters SCCA's Super Fast GT2 Class

PhilLeonard-MG-RV8-AA2.jpg

In my opinion, an MG that races against Cobras, Vipers, and Tigers is an MG to cheer for! I hope you enjoy the article.

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The endeavour may be quixotic, but the execution is plain fugly, at least in respect of that rear wing. If the Cobra doesn't need one, why does the MGB?

The rest of the car is so beautifully prepared that I guess that single lapse looms larger than life in contrast.

D

Deleted member 8987

If they didn't have that wing to hold the boot back, the body would collapse and the doors would jam shut.
This IS an MGB, you didn't know they needed that?

D

Deleted member 8987

hehehe.
Hey if it can keep up with a Cobra, it's okay by me!

CZ_Dave

Jedi Warrior
Ok, THATS IT!
I'm going out and get it!
I know where there is a rover motor less the top end
at a junk yard, sittin there
just waiting for someone to pick it up.

I'm gonna have to build the street version of this car.

This is AWESOME!

CurtisJ said:
pretty much the response I expected from this message board.

no wonder it's so quiet around here!

Curtis, don't fill to bad, the last time Bill raced they equates horsepower in how many horses you had harnessed up in front of your wagon :jester:

All ribbing aside, Bill, FWIW I'm not a fan of the wing either, but SCCA GT class rules allow for the use of one and I'm guessing if you want to be competitive, then you use one.

OH and you're right Curtis, while the Triumph and Spridget board moves well here, you can here crickets churp in this forum, it needs a good kick to get it going, something better than threads about floor mats :sleep:

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Hap Waldrop said:
OH and you're right Curtis, while the Triumph and Spridget board moves well here, you can here crickets churp in this forum, it needs a good kick to get it going, something better than threads about floor mats :sleep:

Hey now, I'm doing my best to make full use of my ignorance to fill up this forum. :smile:

Neat car, would be great to see it in action.

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hap Waldrop said:
CurtisJ said:

All ribbing aside, Bill, FWIW I'm not a fan of the wing either, but SCCA GT class rules allow for the use of one and I'm guessing if you want to be competitive, then you use one.

Hap, according to Bill Young (on another board), the guys that built the car were guessing in the dark too, when they inflcited that eyesore on the otherwise lovely car. Reminds me of a pretty girl with a big ugly wart on the end of her nose! Whever they get around to testing it with and without the wing, I suppose they'll find out if their wild assed gues was right or wrong! :cheers:

As far as being competitive, they aren't going to be that no matter how big the wing, as the rules don't favour them. And BTW, the ersatz Cobra the car runs with doesn't need no big ugly wing....

Nice to see them doing this, but I hope the SCCA will change the ruling and allow them to be competitive!

D

Deleted member 8987

Oh, wait...isn't the Cobra they're running against a kit car with a 2000cc Pinto engine?

equiprx

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
According to the article "The MG RV8 was only ever produced in righthand drive configuration," How did that get to be a left hooker?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Voodoo.

...or PhotoShop? :smirk:

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
DrEntropy said:
Voodoo.

...or PhotoShop? :smirk:

It's not an actual RV8. In the article, it's really a B with a V8 skinned in RV8 panels.

Steve_S

Yoda
You expected a poor response, and when you got it you proceeded to insult the forum and those who use it. The forum, incidentally, where as far as I can tell every post you've ever made was promoting your own forum without repercussion from the admin. I'd think you would appreciate his consideration more than that!

No disrespect intended, but I don't see where that kind of response was called for. If someone thinks the wing is fugly then that's their right! Just my opinion though...

Well atleast it produced a 2 page thread here, quite the feat for this turtle :jester:

It's just somewhat sad that this forum, MG, crawls at such a slow pace here. Steve you said Curtis made the members who post here mad, so you're saying they "both" got mad :jester:

Seriously this place needs a jolt.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
CurtisJ said:

Curtis, your participation here has been primarily to pimp your own web site. The majority of your posts have been only to post a link to lead people to your own web site in the guise of "discussion." (usually posting some picture, with a link you YOUR web site.) I know you are aware of the rules. Number one on the list states:

1. Do not use this forum for posting SPAM or for trolling to direct members to some other forum or website. If you have a web site, you can post it in our links page and you can put a car-related URL in your signature, but we have almost zero tolerance for new members who join just to post links to other web sites.

Yet that is primarily what you have done since being here and I've let it go for the most part. You posted a picture and people responded with their opinions. Your response was uncalled for, sir.

OP
C

CurtisJ

Jedi Hopeful
equiprx said:
According to the article "The MG RV8 was only ever produced in righthand drive configuration," How did that get to be a left hooker?

SCCA has mandated left-hand drive for all GT-class racecars. If Phil's car were a real RV8 (not a replica) it would still have to be converted to left-hand drive to meet the rule.

Jerry Richards vintage races a "factory" MGB GT V8, and I know from interviewing him that he figures its right-hand drive steering is a significant advantage on all clockwise tracks (e.g. Road America, Road Atlanta, V.I.R., Watkins Glen, Summit Point... in other words, almost every track he runs at.) Jerry tweaks his weight distribution to suit specific tracks/conditions, but he always runs more weight on his inside wheels. He also figures right-hand steering gives him a better sight line. (To race in SCCA, Jerry would probably have to convert his MGB GT V8 to left-hand drive and also downgrade from his quad Weber DCOE set-up to a single Holley 4bbl with restrictor plate.) Interestingly, Phil's home track is Heartland Park in Topeka Kansas, and that's a counter-clockwise track.