• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Putting the doors on

algot1901

Country flag
Today we are putting the doors on and it is not easy, the front bottom driver door hinge warped from the heat while removing the pin and with the help of the 5# persawder the door now shuts proper, next is the driver rear door have to drill the hinge for an oversize pin fun fun

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I feel your pain. I got 7 of my 8 hinge pins out with the tool you suggested. The right rear bottom one still refuses. I have not resorted to heat yet and suspect it will not work anyway. Drill is probably the final answer. Not to concerned about drilling it out except for having to lay on the floor to do it and push up for a long time.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I forgot to ask. Have you painted already? If so, where are the pictures?

OP
algot1901

algot1901

Country flag
Happy 2022 to you and yours from the frigid state of WI.
The car is in primer right now and as soon as I can get the doors hung and trunk lid on I will spray with a high build primer, most likely 2 coats, and the rest of the body parts will be painted off the car, I do not think the color will be sprayed until Feb/Mar.
What I suggest you do to remove the stuck pin is to hack saw it above and below the door hinge pivot that is what we did then put it into the drill press with a jig to keep it vertical and drilled the pin out, next we had to drill the hinge again for an oversize pin, do not try and drill with it on the car.
If you have to remove the hinge half that is screwed to the pillar use the tool in the pic BUT you will need to support the pillar with emphasis at the top where the signal arm goes. We bent the pillar from repeated hammering on the hinge screws, had to turn them cherry red, and hammer the heck out of them.
Another item to watch out for if you heat the hinge on the car is warping the bodyside hinge piece, it is best to hack saw the hinge loose and put everything on a bench. Drake carries the pins and also oversize which we had to use on the driver door bottom hinge, also replaced all pins as Drake's pins have oil grooves. One other thing I did was to drill a small hole in the pivot to oil the hinge.
Have fun
Jim
imgp8778-edit-1583507416.jpg

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Thanks for the advice but I am afraid I will have to drill it on the car. I have tried your suggested impact tool with no luck. Also my door jambs are already painted and I don't want to burn it up. I'll try a smaller bit to weaken it enough so I can push it out. I think someone had worked on this one before (surely not me, I hope) and spread the bottom part enough that it is too tight in the bottom section of the hinge. Will try that later since working under the car and on the driveline right now. Like you, I am waiting for warmer weather before painting the Sprite. Prefect outer skin still needs to be stripped before paint prep can really start so maybe by next fall.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Hey algot, I need a favor. If you get a chance an are so inclined, would you please measure your steering arm for length. I have to customize one and I need the length from the center of the shaft out of the box to the center of the drag link tie rod end. In other words, center to center between the holes in the arm.
Thanks very much.

OP
algot1901

algot1901

Country flag
Confused!!!!!!
Which part??

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-01-11 175729.png
    Screenshot 2022-01-11 175729.png
    114.3 KB · Views: 45

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
#3590 in your diagram.

OP
algot1901

algot1901

Country flag
Approximately 5 inches from hole to hole center which would be 4 1/2"

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Thanks very much. I'll check mine and see what I have. I'm sure it is too short since my turning circle is way too big.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Thanks for that additional info. Gives me something to shoot for.