• Hi Guest! Being a Paying Supporter is NOT a requirement to participate at BCF. However, subscribing will help ensure we can continue to serve the LBC community for years to come. If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource...Please consider supporting us by **Upgrading**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this banner)
Tips
Tips

Purolator Fuel Filter Alert, I guess.

SkinnedKnuckles

Jedi Trainee
I've used the Purolator F20011 for about 5 years w/o any problems. About 3-4 months ago I had a "stumbling" problem when winding up to high rpm's. First thought - the fuel filter was plugged, so changed it. When I blew into the old filter, there was a definite restriction. When it was dry, however, there was none. Hmmm.

I put in some Gumout because it had been Winter. Maybe the small ball from in the Grose jets was getting hung up....(I like my Grose jets - not the issue) The problem was still there. Ok - did the tune-up, changed carb diphragms, still there. Scratched head. Drank beer. Checked fuel pump, checked for collapsed hoses, still there. Starting to think the Sports Coil was heading south, or the Magnecors....

Pulled the new fuel filter out, and it was really tight - couldn't blow through it. With the fuel filter out of the loop - problem disappeared. I'm thinking something in the media swells with todays "modern" gasolines. And later, with the filter dried out, it could be blown through easily. So - watch out if you use a F20011.

6TTR3A

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I've used Purolator F29158 to back up the electric Purolator fuel pump on my TR3A for about 5 years with no problems. We're fortunate to be able to drive year-around so Gumout is not an issue with us. However,I did a restro on a MGTC several years ago & rather than drain the tank, I used Gumout. Once back on the road it didn't "stumble", it QUIT! All quick-fixes failed until I bypassed the filter. I don't remember the brand or model of the filter but until I drained the tank and refilled with "non-pickled" fuel, my filter would clog. My LBC guru at that time recommended a fuel preserve product called "Essuntialube". JUst a thought.
FRank

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
PeterK said:
Water will clog a fuel filter like that.
Yup. Paper element filters swell when they get wet, and can choke off fuel flow. The problem has been around for a long time (first happened to me nearly 40 years ago), but the ethanol added to most gas in the US has aggravated the problem considerably. Some sources have gone as far as recommending the addition of a water separator before the paper element filter.

https://www.fuel-testers.com/ethanol_engine_precautions.html

billspit

Jedi Knight
Well this is food for thought. My Spitfire has been acting up a bit like this the past few drives. Methinks me shall change out the filter.