• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

PSA [Dual meaning here]

You're pretty much where I was, Rick, though my PSA level only reached just below 8. It was a steady incline, had an earlier biopsy that was negative, and a relatively new test indicated trouble. After that result, had my second biopsy, which showed two areas with positive readings. The "new" test is called "Apifiny". Check it out: https://armune.com/apifiny-prostate-cancer-test/

Were it not for that one, I might have waited it out longer. Glad I didn't!

Thanks....just looked it up...and sent the information on to my urologist for his review. (I was the first patient that he used the PCA3 test on...and I next see him on June 8th.)

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
FREE AT LAST!

Catheter's gone; now just have to do some muscle training. :wink:

Pathology report showed 35% cancer involvement in the prostate. Nothing in the lymph nodes, so I'm feeling VERY positive right now!

Thanks again for all the well-wishes.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Glad to hear the good news.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Brer Mick said:
Glad I didn't!

Me too, Bro. And cranberry juice is KING. Along with a water regimen. Force fluids!

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Me too, Bro. And cranberry juice is KING. Along with a water regimen. Force fluids!

Actually, doctor told me yesterday that I could back off pushing fluids now. Depends are comfortable-fitting, but I don't want to use up my retirement funds on 'em! :wink:

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Hi Mickey - I know we here at BCF want to be helpful and give advice, but ... have your doctors given you specifics on diet, continuing medication, activity, what to watch out for, and "what to expect" over the coming weeks?

A few guys I know didn't get much detail from the professionals after their prostate surgery, and when they just took their buddies' advice, well, more "great unpleasantness" resulted.

Tom M.

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Tom -

My doctor is not the buddy-buddy type, but very professional and thorough. I asked him about diet, and his response was no restrictions, just don't overdo.

As for medication, none for now, other than what I was on beforehand.

Activity: take it easy for a few days, then gradually increase. No heavy lifting, due to hernia risk.

Incontinence will continue a while, but he expected it to improve after a couple of weeks. (Counting on that!)

Followup in six weeks.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Sounds like you're doing fine. I'm on tamsulosin (Flomax) for flow and Finasteride to shrink the prostate. Also take saw palmetto for "just in case". Avoiding TURP is my main objective. So far, so good. Only once a night trip.

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Sounds like you're doing fine. I'm on tamsulosin (Flomax) for flow and Finasteride to shrink the prostate. Also take saw palmetto for "just in case". Avoiding TURP is my main objective. So far, so good. Only once a night trip.

Odd thing about my situation is that I really didn't have typical symptoms, which contributed to my near-denial of what was going on. No family history of prostate issues, prostate was not enlarged (doctor remarked about how normal it was), no frequent trips to the bathroom, and though I've awakened during the night, it was due more to my snoring/mild sleep apnea. It was the Apifiny blood work that really began to tip the scales.

Did quite a bit of research, and the two things that jumped out at me were how widespread this is and how it presents in so many different ways.