• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Proper Pronunciation

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Whenever the wife and I travel South and she goes into a store and hears the first Southern gal, I can't turn her off until we get back North. Somehow she picks up the accent readily and I can't get het to quit. We don't travel South too often. I don't want her near Boston or New York would be horrible.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 8987

You can tell a Caifornian...but you can't tell him much.

Easy spotting feature...refers to any highway as "the". "The 5", "The 101".

Stupid.

Second spotting feature is "I'm from Cali".

Really?

I know where Cali is, west coast of Colombia, SW of Bogota. You're from there? Really?

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I've never said "Cail" in conversation.I'd never heard that term
until about 10 years ago.
The other thing that always irritated me about SOUTHERN Californians
is,when they move to NORTHERN California,is that they keep saying things like -
"Back in LA,we could get XXXXX,but they don't have that here" & "They don't -
have shopping like they do in LA".

D

Deleted member 8987

and they don't need bars on the windows like in LA....

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I'll add that in Louisiana the first one is "Fit'nta" (one word, first t is almost silent); second is "Big ol'"; third is just "y'all"...

Mickey, my dear stepmother was from Oak Grove, LA so I learned a lot of that first hand. And SWMBO gets irritated by the use of "fixin to" so natrurally I use it every chance I get.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Mickey, my dear stepmother was from Oak Grove, LA so I learned a lot of that first hand. And SWMBO gets irritated by the use of "fixin to" so natrurally I use it every chance I get.

"The Grove"! Yeah, I know it; great friend of mine is from the area - Forest, I believe. Flat as a flitter over there and some really good farm land.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Having seen this commercial again, I can tell you what makes this commercial so Boston and it's not the accents. Some Ahole scrunching his car into a space so the driver in the next car over won't be able to get into his car. Now that's Boston. What it fails to show is the aftermath when the typical Boston driver in the other car gets done with that shiny new Hyundai

scratching-car-with-a-key-royalty-free-image-1578334635.jpg

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Having seen this commercial again, I can tell you what makes this commercial so Boston and it's not the accents. Some Ahole scrunching his car into a space so the driver in the next car over won't be able to get into his car. Now that's Boston. What it fails to show is the aftermath when the typical Boston driver in the other car gets done with that shiny new Hyundai

Sounds like you've been the recipient of that?

I got to wondering about now SmartPark actually works. Have to say, looks impressive, but not sure I understand all that's going on. And I sure don't follow all the commands and options. It parks the car? or it *starts* to park the car? or it helps you park the car? or ...

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
My sis-in-law starting driving in the 80s, her Dad bought her a Volvo sedan. It snowed and she grabbed a clear spot and ran inside. Next morning car would not start insueing a tow. Got to garage and $150 (with tow) later a potato was extracted from tailpipe. Still did not learn how to clear her own space, Dad did it. Then she called us and asked if she could come over,I said sure "bring a shovel". She did not understand it snowed here too and there would be no parking, sure wasn't shovelling for her. She lives in Fla. now.

Country flag
Gee, makes me glad I have parking lots everywhere I go that someone else plows... I only have to do my own driveway and walks on those now rare occasions we get enough to warrant it.