• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Procedure to store engine

rooster

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hi,

I'm embarking on doing a frame off restoration of my car. I'm wondering if there is a proper way to prepare the engine for long term storage so that it won't seize up, and minimal damage is done to it.

Thanks as always

Todd.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Lots of suggestions on that topic, you'll go crazy if you try to follow them all! Here's mine (worth at least what it costs)
grin.gif

If the oil is not fresh, change it. No sense leaving old oil in there to form varnish and so on.

Remove the spark plugs and dose each cylinder with oil. Ordinary motor oil will do, but "fogging" oil (available at most marine supply stores) is even better. Spin the engine with the starter (plugs still out) to spread the oil around, then dose it again for good measure. Reinstall the plugs loosely (just a few turns by hand) and leave the wires off.

Optionally, plug or tape all the openings, like intakes, exhaust, etc. Just a clean shop rag stuffed into the hole will do; or tape a baggie over the air filters if they are on the engine.

If there is a lot of dirt in the area, throwing a plastic sheet or some old towels over the top is probably a good idea, just to keep it cleaner.

When you go to fire it up, remove the plugs and spin it with the starter until the oil pressure comes up. That will help clean any excess oil out of the cylinders, plus get the bottom end all lubed up.

tomgt6

Jedi Warrior
Drain all gas from the carb and tank. Everything else above looks about right to me. Some guys also turn the engine by hand every couple of months.

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
The original TR6 engine I was going to rebuild was stored under my work bench for nearly 20 years with no special preparation. When I started to tear it down, I could turn it over by hand. Internally, all the surfaces were well coated with the years of slug build up while the engine was in service.

So as has been previously mentioned, squirt some oil in the cylinders, drain the carbs, and keep it in a dry environment and it will be fine.

Adrio

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I stored mine outside more or less covered for 20 plus years. What I did was buy a few very larg pails of cheap oil, and filled the engine. I mean filled it, I plugged the hole where the dipstick goes, and just poured the oil in unitill it would take no more. I also "fogged" the chambers as described above before pouring the oil in. After all those years I rebuilt the engine and it was fine. I am sure there are simpler ways to store it though.

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
A TR owner in Toronto paid a shop over $4000,00 to improve the engine in his TR3A, The day after gettting it back, he was on the 401 when he got plowed sideways by a tractor trailer. The TR was pushed sideways like it was a snow-plow on the front bumper. The driver suffered only a broken leg and his ankle. The front bumper of the semi was pushing him on the driver's side. Then the car sat in his garden under a tarp for over three years - winter and summer - snow, rain, humidity, etc.

I restored the car over the next 7 years finishing in 2006 but he told me he didn't want anything done to the engine. Compression read very, very, low. But when it came time to start it, it ran fine. After it wearmed up, the compression was 155 psi on all cylinders. The photo shows the final result after a new frame and a total body-off restoration.

Hey ! Think about it ! These motors are tractor motors.

Attachments

• 17527.jpg
    17527.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 116