• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Problem starting the cold engine

Lutz Kramer

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Hi,
I'm new in this forum. I live in Gemrany and owning an AH 3000 III Phase 2 for almost one year. I'm 62 years old. When I was 18 back in '71 I tried to find an adaquate 3000 which unfortunately didn't work. So back then I decided for a TR 5 PI which all in all was not a bad decision. But since then I couldn't get the AH 3000 out of my head. Now, it finally worked.

Here is my my question.
When the car has been parked for a few days and I try to start the engine it takes about 5 to 6 attempts befor I can even realize a first ignition. After a few more attempts the engine finally starts. By the way, the starter is a brandnew modern Heavy Duty Gear Reduction Starter, which does a fantastic job. When I crank the warm engine, it starts immediately. When the car has been parked only for one day, it needs only one or two attempts before it starts.

So, the longer the engine hasn't been run, the longer it takes to start it. Everything else, like timing, valves an CO (3%) is OK. Even the fuel pump works poperly.

I think, the problem lies with the supply of fuel. Obviously it needs to much cycles of the engine before the gas/air mixtures reaches the combustion chamber. Does anybody has any idea what the problem could be?

Lutz

Last edited:

TimK

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Is the fuel fresh? Does the choke stay full on (twisting the knob to lock it)? I have to pull very hard on mine to fully engage it. Is the mixture when warm set correctly using the procedure in the manual to set it? Are the spark plugs gapped correctly and are they free of carbon or oil? Does the fuel pump click rapidly then slow down to a slow pace (indicating full pressure is achieved? Are the floats set at the right height?

Keith_M

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I had a similar problem with my 62 BT7. The problem turned out to be that the choke was not fully engaging. Try working the choke directly on the carbs and see how far it goes; then see if your cable can move it that far.

OP
Lutz Kramer

Lutz Kramer

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
First of all, thank you for the fast replies!
Most things that were mentined by Tim are working properly or set correct. The only thing I have to check for is the one that was brought up by everybody and is to check for the choke to pull the jet completely down (rich position) when set. I'll let you know as soon as I've checked that.

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Lutz.

Hopefully its just the choke that is the problem. Anyway it shouldn't be difficult to solve. Not being able to start a warm engine is worse.

Even when it is all correct they do not always start on the first attempt from cold, so its never going to fire up like a modern car.

andrea

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hi,
I'm new in this forum. I live in Gemrany and owning an AH 3000 III Phase 2 for almost one year. I'm 62 years old. When I was 18 back in '71 I tried to find an adaquate 3000 which unfortunately didn't work. So back then I decided for a TR 5 PI which all in all was not a bad decision. But since then I couldn't get the AH 3000 out of my head. Now, it finally worked.

Here is my my question.
When the car has been parked for a few days and I try to start the engine it takes about 5 to 6 attempts befor I can even realize a first ignition. After a few more attempts the engine finally starts. By the way, the starter is a brandnew modern Heavy Duty Gear Reduction Starter, which does a fantastic job. When I crank the warm engine, it starts immediately. When the car has been parked only for one day, it needs only one or two attempts before it starts.

So, the longer the engine hasn't been run, the longer it takes to start it. Everything else, like timing, valves an CO (3%) is OK. Even the fuel pump works poperly.

I think, the problem lies with the supply of fuel. Obviously it needs to much cycles of the engine before the gas/air mixtures reaches the combustion chamber. Does anybody has any idea what the problem could be?

Lutz
Hi Lutz
Same identical problem on a 100/6 with new engine -
after a fine carbs tuning -looking for to have a more lean mixture ( I have turned down and up the big screw for the regulation of fuel flow) I am now very satisfied with the carbs regulation -
BUT the car wouldn't start cold, in the my usual mode (starter completely drawn)
car warmed,start immediately, as your, and have regular idle rpm at less than 900 rpm-
I have supplied at this new situation with a can of either spray, at the first start- to avoid starter overheating and battery efforts-with good result- normally starts after few turns
but this aren't a decent solution, i AM RELUCTANT to return on my steps - but I can't see one alternative way out
Hope this helps you
Cheers

johnea

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Lutz,
I don't think you can find this info in the workshop manual, but I believe the jets should be a quarter of an inch down when the choke is pulled.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hmmmm, I bet a Pertronix would make it start up in the cold.:wink-new:

OP
Lutz Kramer

Lutz Kramer

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Well Gentlemen,

it seems to be like Keith and some others pointed out. When I checked the choke cables today, I found that even when the choke has been pulled out completely, the jet lever, which moves the jet of the SU HD8 carbs up and down (lean and rich position) is almost not engaged. Therefore the fuel/air mixture is much too lean when the cold engine is started, which of course is not very helpful.

And I know who is responsible for this ... but I don't let you know. Only this, sometimes problems are produced between the ears and are not always caused by Mr. Healey.

Since I didn't have time today to fix the problem, I'm sorry that I will not be able to tell you of any kind of success before the weekend. But I'll come back to you.

Lutz

healeyblue

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
I am confident that that is your issue. It should be noticeably moving the jets down, so adjust them better and enjoy an easy starting Healey.

Keith_M

Jedi Knight
Country flag
And I know who is responsible for this ... but I don't let you know. Only this, sometimes problems are produced between the ears and are not always caused by Mr. Healey.

Lutz

Well, you've got lots of company in that regard. If I had a nickel for every mistake I made while restoring my Healey, I'd have enough money to buy another one! You'll have a great sense of satisfaction when you get it fixed.

OP
Lutz Kramer

Lutz Kramer

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Wow, the Problem is solved!

I readjustet the Choke cables, so that the jet is moved to its rich positon and the rpm is raised a bit whenever the choke is pulled.
When I now start the cold engine its running by the first attempt. Beautiful, I never had that before.

So, thank you all for your professional advice which ultimately led to the goal.

Lutz

TimK

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Good on you, and thanks for the feedback. It helps to know what advice really worked.