• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Priority Mail

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Old radio tube was shipped from Orlando, FL on May 3rd by Priority Mail. It hasn't arrived in CT yet - May 16th. "In transit" says the tracking number. Priority to what - the Pony Express? We are well on our way to becoming a 3rd World country.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
That is unusual for priority I would think. I’ve usually had pretty good luck with priory mail.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I find that rather parcel arrives early in some cases. I find it an excellent value for sending out heavy items such as shocks, etc.

"If it fits, it ships!" We've had good results as well.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
But you have to remember, they have to stop at a relay station every so on to feed and water the horses! :devilgrin:👍

Country flag
There have been news stories that the Postmaster General has told offices that he will be eliminating delivery time guarantees along with hours and staffing cuts as part of restructuring. I admit to still mailing things rather than online or auto pay and I've noticed that delivery times can vary wildly anymore.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I think maybe 2% of my mail is delayed in transit somewhere (USPS). The budget and staffing cuts over the years have resulted in incredible loads on the machines and postal workers.

Still think USPS is a bargain compared to other shippers, in most cases.

Tom M.

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
It is said the USPS is the most trusted part of the Gov. and they had to weight for gas like the rest of the East Coast. Amazon is good but for me they are only 50 miles away. I am retired so no hurry here. Just glad the next day came.

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Good thing I'm not relying on the mail for my 6 prescriptions. Bad enough the pharmacy has to call the Drs staff every few months when the scrip runs out.

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
If they shipped it in a small box, might be lost in a bag anywhere between the two terminals. If you have shipping numbers you can have it traced, but if put in a small parcel box, could be forever. We had a lady rural carrier that bought a used mail jeep to do her deliveries. Don't know where it came from or what office, as she cleaned it out to use, she found a letter from 1945 inside a hidden seat bracket. She turned it in and it was delivered same day, fortunately person was still alive and at same address

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
When I was a carrier, St. louis distribution center was our sorting unit. A billion items a night and the average was 5% loss due to machines and sorters could not be stopped. They would check first morning shift, then up on line again.

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
That was computerized labels. We had three of the first street sequanced sorters in our office at $2.2 million to sort for three small cities. When St. Louis upgraded in 2011 they sold our sorters for scrape at $1000 ea.

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
We had them in office for 8 yrs. I think 2002 and were gone 2010, as I retired 2012. Right in time for the big hot summer.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Thanks. I'd imagine it was similar when massive "main frame" computers became obsolete. Gazillions of dollars for the old units became "ten cents on the dollar", as Fanny Brice used to sing.

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
Especially when the USPS was crying about money, that is when they bought all the Chrysler vans with left hand drive and electric vehicles for the managers.

Country flag
They do need to determine what is worth doing as part of their mission too. I got a Post Office envelope one day that had a message on it that the contents had been damaged and were packaged to ensure no further was done. And that the Post Office was sorry for any inconvenience. When I opened it I found, the bottom quarter of a catalog back page with my address information on it. But the piece was small enough that the catalog name or address or any identifying information was gone so I had no idea what it was part of. Now this was something that someone spent time and a bit of resources on for a completely useless purpose. How much like that goes on all across the country that could be better spent on viable items moving through the system??