• Hi Guest! Being a Paying Supporter is NOT a requirement to participate at BCF. However, subscribing will help ensure we can continue to serve the LBC community for years to come. If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource...Please consider supporting us by **Upgrading**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this banner)
Tips
Tips

Plywood - woodn't you like to help

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
well if we haven't evicted the skunk it will be dead shortly as we thoroughly filled the holes with wood and metal and dirt - huzzah!

This is bringing about a 'use of shed' conversation. After a number of years or more or less ignoring the shed, Mrs JP has decided that a she shed/ potting shed might be nice and is slightly frustrated that in addition to all the sheddy things in the shed, there is an Austin 7 / 1/3 of a Vauxhall Viva GT and 2 1/2 Honda CT90's. sheesh.

However, not to be dissuaded we are now in negotiations for what this could look like - current plans involve splitting the shed about 60/40 - with me retaining the 60% (phew). This could actually be a win for me as it would allow me to put proper shelves in and organize the parts in an accessible way. What I am currently thinking of is to rub shelves along two walls and possible all three. I believe that I can make two shelves about 30 and 60" high. The shelves would be 2' deep. This would allow me to purchase a number of totes and stack them - two high per shelf and inserted lengthwise. This would allow 28 totes (floor and lower shelf) - and still leave the top shelves free for bigger body parts, bumpers and motorcycle frames etc. I don't imagine I would need that many totes but, in principle I can put a lot of stuff there - and potentially have a third wall of shelves also.

All of this leads to my question. How thick does the plywood for the shelf need to be? I will likely support them with 2X2's - and a vertical (2X3?) every 3 feet or so. So, not long spans - I am sure 1/2 inch is sufficient but, with budget always a factor - would thinner do?

thoughts?

thanks all!

LarryK

Obi Wan
Gold
Country flag
Wouldn't cave to wife, get her a shed and eventually save money, work space, and cleaner cars. Potting soil will put a layer of dust on everything and fertilizers and garden chemicals eat paint and metal. Sheds range from free used to what you can afford. Loosing space is forever lost.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Maybe I'm missing something, but don't you need to know the weight the shelves would support, before choosing the strength of the plywood?

Here's a set I build for books and CDs. Used pine, not plywood.

View attachment 63602

OK - back to my cave.
Tom M.

LarryK

Obi Wan
Gold
Country flag
I gave up my part of the basement, why I said don't cave. Have rented a 10X25 storage unit for parts and spare car. Made a potting table for wife. Then I got another metal shed at end of far driveway for more parts. I only had 1/4 of basement. Now the table saw, mitre and router table full of her stuff. Only good there is I can't do any wood cutting without her cleaning off table.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Wouldn't cave to wife, get her a shed and eventually save money, work space, and cleaner cars. Potting soil will put a layer of dust on everything and fertilizers and garden chemicals eat paint and metal. Sheds range from free used to what you can afford. Loosing space is forever lost.

really no place to put another shed, there will be a wall in between and the shed is really just for storage - which isn't currently used to advantage. Besides, her compromise is that I get to use the basement which is a huge win!

LarryK

Obi Wan
Gold
Country flag
She wanted a Valiant, the agreement she was to do the upholstery. Seats have been in the basement two yrs., so I haven't got floorboards done. Only thing left is floorbords, cover seats and start. Even new tires sitting by car. Basement would give me more storage room. Understand the outside room. I'm full up then I just saw an XKE on craigs that is affordable. She asked where would I put it? I just said your MINI would go in the driveway as it is on the bottom of the list. Not very happy woman. Too bad this pandemic thing, she usually is out with her sister on Mondays all day. The E would be in the garage when she got home.

LarryK

Obi Wan
Gold
Country flag
George was never afraid to tell it like it is. Might not have been as clean as some people wanted, but he was usually spot on.