• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Please help identify this car

nickwise

Freshman Member
This is a photo of my grandfather taken in the 1930s in Esfahan, Iran. Could someone please help identify the vehicle, that would be really helpful. Many thanks in advance.

IMG_5022.JPG

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I can't identify it, but this might help others who can
new.jpg~original

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
The car looks much older than the 1930s, so I'm thinking 1920 or earlier. Iran (Persia) had been occupied by Britain, Ottoman Turkey, and Russia during WW1, so that car may have been British; can't quite tell, but is it right hand drive? Actually, the uniforms look Ottoman - so photo might date before 1920?

hmmm - 1920 British Crossley?

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I am "pretty sure" it is a 1920-ish Willys Overland.

View attachment 41113

Wow - that is *close*. A few differences: door sizes, vents on the bonnet sides, radiator head. Also, the Willys fenders have curved down sides, but the Iran photo car's fenders seem almost flat.

OP
N

nickwise

Freshman Member
Thank you all so much for your input. Just found out some more tidbits of info on the passengers. The man in the back is Reza Shah Pahlavi (Iran's Shah from 1925 until 1941) and the driver (my grandfather) was the first person in Iran to have a driver's license.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Wow - that is *close*. A few differences: door sizes, vents on the bonnet sides, radiator head. Also, the Willys fenders have curved down sides, but the Iran photo car's fenders seem almost flat.

I think it may be slightly different model or year, but there are enough similarities in dimension, fenders, convertible top location, etc., that if I were a betting man I'd say there's a good bet it's a Willys Overland. Not 100% sure, but 89% at least. :cool-new:

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I don't think it is a Ford, too many things look a little off. I'm thinking more like an early Chevy touring car.

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
If the person in the car is the Shah of Iran, the car would likely be something more upscale, like a Rolls Royce. Indeed - the car's grille does bear semblance to a Rolls from era just after World War I.

OP
N

nickwise

Freshman Member
from another forum:

"The vehicle by the Iranian bridge is a pre- 1917 Model T Ford. The radiator is typical of the 'brass' era Fords. The shape of the steering wheel and the brass gearbox immediately below the wheel, are typical T. The very distinctive T flywheel/transmission housing can be seen below the car, and it is equipped with transverse springs. That all points to a T, however the body is certainly not a factory one for a T, so it could be a locally made special body."

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Nick - what is "the Iranian bridge"?

Are they sure what they're describing is the same car in the photo posted here?

The car in the photo could certainly have a non-Ford "military" body bolted on - but how do we know the forum you quote is talking about the same car we're talking about?

Thanks.
Tom M.

OP
N

nickwise

Freshman Member
Nick - what is "the Iranian bridge"?

In the background of the photo is a famous bridge in Isfahan known as Si-o-seh Pol.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Si-o-seh_pol

Are they sure what they're describing is the same car in the photo posted here? ... how do we know the forum you quote is talking about the same car we're talking about?

The admin from oldclassic.co.uk posted the same photo to the "mystery photo" thread. And that was the response from someone. I only thought it would be of interest to the members here to hear another opinion. I have no idea who is wrong or right. Apologies if I did not make it clear enough here.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
OP
N

nickwise

Freshman Member
It was me who emailed him the photo a few days ago. I thought "why not spread the net to several forums?" to see what responses I would get. It's been really interesting. I may know next to nothing about classic cars, but I have an engineering degree, so I can appreciate what goes into making them. Thank you all for your input.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold