• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Group statistics

Members:
Threads:
Discussions:
Photos:

Group events

Photography

Playing with "Macro"

Basil

Administrator
Boss
So this new 85mm f/2 has "macro" capability (But not 1:1) so I decided to play around with it. Here's a first attempt with just normal room light (hence ISO 10000)

RF85-1481.jpg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Looks pretty good to me. Again, I think you did well!

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Decided to try my hand at "Focus stacking". The F-stop is 5.6, focusing close (Macro). The first image is what the rust is with just a single point in focus at the front of the coin. The second image is the result of "stacking" 25 images where the focus point is incrementally moved towards the back (focus bracketing), My R5 does focus bracken and you tell it how many images you want and what sort of increments you want. This is my first attempt, but in the second image you can see that the entire coin is mostly in focus. Still not sure exactly what I'm doing and have a lot to learn about how to to this effectively.

RF85-1623.jpg

Now 25 images focus stacked:

R5CS1652.jpeg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Superb! The magic of digital imaging.

BTW, nice Challenge Coin! (y)

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Ok, my experiment didn't work as well as I had hoped. I tried to use the camera's internal focus bracketing function, but for some reason I could not get it to move the focus point. So, I too a series of 20 images (on tripod) and manually moved the focus from right to left, front to back manually. Then stacked in Photoshop. First image is just the first shot with focus on front bottle (f2 by the way). The second is a blended picture of 20 images with the focus changed in each.

R5CS1726.jpg

Focus Stacked:
R5CS1745 copy.jpg

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Played around some more and found that the auto bracketing would work if I stopped down to f5.6. Here's the result of in-camera focus bracketing, with 17 images aligned and blended in Photoshop. It seems it didn't like the f2 aperture. for some reason.

R5CS1952-Edit.jpg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
An impressive feature for sure.

You have two different camera-to-subject distances there, is it possible the ∱2.0 opening and closer to subject played a part in the less desirable result in the first attempt?

Last edited:
OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
An impressive feature for sure.

You have two different camera-to-subject distances there, is it possible the ∱2.0 opening and closer to subject played a part in the less desirable result in the first attempt?
Yes, I think that had a lot to do with it (probably everything to do with it) The DOF was just so shallow that even with 20 shots the total focus field was only inches. I think if I had taken many more images at f2 I'd have gotten more in focus. This focus bracketing thing is going to take some practice for me to really understand how to best use it in specific situations.