• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Picked Up Some Older R&T's

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Stopped by the Towe Museum in Sacramento (they'll be
doing a display on Pete Snell,& I loaned them some photos,-
-etc).
People donate old magazines,so they end up with duplicates of a lot of them.I looked through them & picked
up a couple of Road & Track magazines.
The June 1970 issue has a comparison test between the
TR6,MGB,Fiat124,& the 914.
The April 1973 issue had a Showroom Stock theme between
the GT6,MGB,MGB GT,Spitfire,Midget,914,Opel GT,Fiat Spider,
& the Karmann Ghia.The GT6 won.

- Doug

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
AngliaGT said:
...The June 1970 issue has a comparison test between the TR6,MGB,Fiat124,& the 914...

I still have that issue. I saved it because it came out when I was shopping for my first car (graduated in June 70). That article certainly influenced my decision to get a Fiat Spider.

Maybe it even influenced by decisions to live in So California and later Arizona.

What can I say? That 124 Spider was a delightful car. Two years later I picked up a '58 TR3A to have something different once in awhile.

Always had Fiats until I got the TR4 6 years ago. Now my 'something different' is another Triumph.

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
I still have a copy of of a 1957 US magazine with a red TR3 small mouth on the cover. I bought that magazine wnen I was only 19. That was 51 years ago and it was a year later that I bought my 1958 TR3A. Life goes fast when you're having fun. And it sure beats the alternative.

PeterK

Yoda
I had several Fiat 850 spyders that I bought fixed up and sold each for a profit. Sounded like they were going much faster than they actually were. But FUN cars.

Russ Austin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Speaking of old magazines’ an old friend gave me a few, a 1953 Sports Car Handbook (here’s the cover) as well as a number of other mags. A 1956 The Times Survey of the British Motor Car Industry, and 4 or 5 books “what a treasure trove”.

SCC.jpg

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Old sports car mags in general and Road and Track in particular are great fun. Not only the road tests, the production car race results, accessory ads, and the Road and Track merketplace so you can drool over the cars and prices.

You can also get the "Reader's Digest Condensed Version" by getting Road and Track on Triumph Sports Cars, it is split up into 3-4 editions covering a span of years. I just picked up the 68-74 or somewhere in that range, which has the comparison tests mentioned above and tests on all the new models released.

roofman

Jedi Knight
You can look on ebay for these kinds of old issues. This year my wife and I turned 50 and we ordered a bunch of magazines from april and may 1957 when we were born. Kind of a cool thing to look back.

V

vagt6

I love reading those old car mags! Never fails to bring back memories.

And, it seems like just yesterday when there was a Triumph dealership in my hometown. I think there are more than a few of us here who remember MG and Triumph dealerships.

Am I that old??? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazyeyes.gif

Sheesh!

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]I love reading those old car mags! Never fails to bring back memories. [/QUOTE]

Mark,

I remember reading those "old car magazines" when they were new, fresh off of the newsstand. Talk about bringing back memories......Yes, I am that old.....but as Don said, better than the alternative.

D

DougF

I was given a 15+ year collection of Thoroughbred and Classics and a number of Sportscar and Classics a while back. Both are excellent reading.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
vagt6 said:
...And, it seems like just yesterday when there was a Triumph dealership in my hometown. I think there are more than a few of us here who remember MG and Triumph dealerships...

Sure I remember the Triumph dealers in my town (we had 2).

I also remember how hard it was to get parts through them. Thank goodness for BAP/GEON, JCWhitney and a local place called Fast Imported Car Parts.

For parts availability I prefer today's environment of motiviated vendors and my old friend eBay.

NickMorgan

Jedi Knight
When I was in the States 12 years ago, I was driving through Denver when I spotted a shop called "Car Books". I stopped and turned around and came out of the shop a couple of hours later with two Triumph books and a collection of old R&Ts from 1957-1959. I love the old articles and adverts and especially the adverts for TR3s. There is one with the TR driving next to a herd of galloping horses and another with two hunters driving a TR3 with a dear strapped on the boot rack!

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
I was in San Francisco circa 1985 and saw a book shop where they stocked old books and re-sold old used ones. I bought three used hardback books on TR maintenance. They were $3.00 to $8.00 each. I still have them.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Geo Hahn said:
Sure I remember the Triumph dealers in my town (we had 2).
Over the years of US sales of Triumphs, there were at least half a dozen places in the Albany, NY, area that sold them, albeit probably never more than 2-3 at any one time. And I'm old enough to remember most of them!