• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

General Tech Permatex Aviation Form a Gasket; Permatex Ultra Gray

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
I know Hylomar is a favorite around here, but I always seem to waste tubes, and it's costly. I'm reassembling my engine now. I'm inclined to follow the advice of my old mechanic and use Permatex High Tack just about everywhere, but I have another friend who, for the front engine plate and oil pan prefers Permatex Ultra Gray. On the other hand, I've heard people talk up Permatex Aviation Form a Gasket. I guess that front engine plate may be the most serious since I really won't be resealing that again soon unless I really goof something up.

Please give me your recent thoughts on gasket sealers. I can stick with High Tack, but Ultra Gray for the front engine plate seems to be my preference. And I wonder about Permatex Aviation elsewhere.

Thanks all. Marc

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
...."Form a Gasket" is more of a gasket dressing to be used with a gasket or to fill in surface imperfections between finely machined surfaces
"Ultra Gray" can be used to replace or instead of a gasket or as a supplemental gasket.

Last edited:

Tybalt

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Permatex Aviation Form A Gasket was go sole "go to" for a long time. It's still a favorite but I have been known to use Ultra Gray or Hylomar for some specific applications.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I know Hylomar is a favorite around here, but I always seem to waste tubes, and it's costly...

Perhaps you've been using the version that contains a solvent? The solvent-free seems to have a very long shelf life (like forever).

I load it into a plastic syringe (drug store item for baby meds) and it dispenses neatly and just the right amount.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
I really like Ultra Gray, but I’ve been using HondaBond a lot lately and it does a great job. I was introduced to it when rebuilding the engine on a Honda ATV. I stopped by the local dealer to purchase a gasket set and he said just use HondaBond instead of gaskets and I took that leap of faith, excellent product.
Rut

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I really like Ultra Gray, but I’ve been using HondaBond a lot lately and it does a great job. I was introduced to it when rebuilding the engine on a Honda ATV. I stopped by the local dealer to purchase a gasket set and he said just use HondaBond instead of gaskets and I took that leap of faith, excellent product.
Rut
Hi Rut,

Which version of Hondabond? There is a non-setting type, and another that is more like RTV.

Thanks,
Darrell

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Hi Rut,

Which version of Hondabond? There is a non-setting type, and another that is more like RTV.

Thanks,
Darrell
image.jpg

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Hylomar is best used on mating aluminum parts. Such as Land Rover, Jaguar. I use Indian Head gasket sealer with gaskets. I use form a gasket with gaskets, but have used wjthout. When I do a major on my domestic older vehicles, I use the hardening permatex, because I do not plan to take apart again. It is a pain to disasemble.

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
I used this Hylomar blue on my tr3 oil pan and it leaked badly. I am not sure if I used the product incorrectly or not. The leaks might be at the bolts. I used original bolts, but cleaned every surface and bolt with great care. Regretfully, I am taking the oil pan off again when I find the mood and this time I might and probably will used hardening permatex because the only engine I ever got seal tight was 327 where I used hardening permatex.

Perhaps I should have used new bolts because maybe somehow the oil is going down the bolt threads. Have any of you ever seal a pan gasket on a tr3 oil pan? If so, I am all ears on how you did it.

steve

Attachments

• DSCN0448.JPG
    DSCN0448.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 32
OP
KVH

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
I did pretty well by placing the pan upside down in a piece of glass and finding and eliminating distorted areas, many created by stretched bolt holes that I peened back down using the edge of a steel table for underside support. Then I applied my gasket in two phases. Gasket to pan dried overnight on that same piece of glass and sealed with Permatex Gray. Next day to the block, Permatex Gray. Sealed very well; barely a seep.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I used the permatex gasket sealer to pan and block, put gasket on pan and let set enough to stick the put on block, then put small amount on bolts and torqued at 25 in/lbs., then to 30 in/lbs. Warmup and rechecked.

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
I did similar; but used RTV on a glass table to adhere gasket to oil pan

Note, at least on the TR4A, the torque for the oil pan bolts is about 15 ft-lbs. Not much. I think the intent is to to prevent over-compressing the gasket and oil pan deformation.