• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Pebble Beach/ Monterey Good Accommodations Recommendation

mwagon

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
After 25 years of thinking of going, I'd say this should be the year for me. Can anyone recommend good reasonable accommodations & would be safe to bring a nice car without worries? Probably would have been something else to have seen years ago, but better late then never

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
We'll be renting a house this year as I be competing in the Rolex Monterey Historics at Laguna Seca in group 3A (55-61 production GT) with # 414. The organizers did send me this link to help with accommodations: www.Resort2me.com My feature race is on Saturday, stop my the pits and if you have time.

Country flag
We'll be renting a house this year as I be competing in the Rolex Monterey Historics at Laguna Seca in group 3A (55-61 production GT) with # 414. The organizers did send me this link to help with accommodations: www.Resort2me.com My feature race is on Saturday, stop my the pits and if you have time.
Good luck Dougie! I don't know when I'll ever get back there for the event, but the last time I was there (August 1978) Ray Caivano and I drove my Healey down from The City and Ray introduced me to Stan Huntley (sp?) in his Bugeye pits. Is FASPEC (or Stan, for that matter) still around?

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Randy -

Cancer took Stan about 15 years ago, he sold FASPEC to his employees who kept it going up until 3 years ago. Stan's son Shad still run's
https://www.drivingambition.us/aboutus.asp and races the old Sprite on occasion.

011A_S030013-300x200.jpg

Country flag
Randy -

Cancer took Stan about 15 years ago, he sold FASPEC to his employees who kept it going up until 3 years ago. Stan's son Shad still run's
https://www.drivingambition.us/aboutus.asp and races the old Sprite on occasion.

View attachment 27402
That's too bad, but Son Shad sure seem's to have made a name for himself, for which Stan sure would've been proud!

Ray too succumbed to cancer around '88 - '89, but I stay in regular (E-mail) contact with his wife, Jo-Anne__who was the legal/registered owner of BN6L-942 when I bought it off Ray's San Francisco shop, Austin-Healey West.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Randy -

I know Stan's bugeye was indecently fast when it was vintage raced in the '80s. Stan also owned one of the '65 LeMans Sprites that was later purchased by Tom Cotter. https://bringatrailer.com/2010/06/16/bring-on-the-rain-1965-sebring-sprite/

BTW, Dougie, just finished reading your article in the Marque. Well done!

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Well, I'll be leaving for Laguna Seca to take part in the incedible circus which is know as "The Monterey Car Week" and the Rolex Monterey Historic Reunion in about a week. I'm shaking things out with #414 one last time at my local track on Friday to make sure everything is well sorted before packing-up and heading south. My Group 3A grid looks well stacked with Ferrari's, Aston Martin's and plenty of Corvette's, the feature marque this year. I race on Saturday, if any Cali BCF members are attending stop by my paddock, say hi and talk Healey.....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/27357414@N02/9420974454/

Attachments

• Rolex Monterey 2013 3A Grid.jpg
    Rolex Monterey 2013 3A Grid.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 65

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Good luck Dougie. That is a fantastic event you are competing in. I crashed my car at Prescott Hill beginning of June and will be out this Sunday for the first time at Loton Park Hill Climb. (Slightly less important event than Monterey -lol).

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Dougie,

Could you pick this up for me at the Bonham's Quail Lodge auction:

1964-Austin-Healey-3000-MkII1-620x420.jpg

1964 Austin-Healey 3000 MkII Lightweight – Estimate $300,000 – $350,000. 767 KNX; 1964 Sebring 12 Hours Works entry driven by Paddy Hopkirk; 1966 and 1968 Targa Florio entrant; Ex-Ted Worswick; Five owners from new; original condition

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Dougie,

Could you pick this up for me at the Bonham's Quail Lodge auction:

1964-Austin-Healey-3000-MkII1-620x420.jpg

1964 Austin-Healey 3000 MkII Lightweight – Estimate $300,000 – $350,000. 767 KNX; 1964 Sebring 12 Hours Works entry driven by Paddy Hopkirk; 1966 and 1968 Targa Florio entrant; Ex-Ted Worswick; Five owners from new; original condition

For you...? I've already made room on the trailer for this prize. I just need the bank to cover the check I intend to write for it.

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I just couldn't get away to the RM auction to get my bid in for this one. I had a high bid of $355,000 really, but the racing action at Leguna Seca came first. We had a hydraulic clutch line (braided stainless) break just as I entered our paddock after the Friday practice session. We corrected this issue and were ready for the Saturday qualify and feature race.

Unannounced to us, the group 3A qualifying session was moved up 10 minutes....I arrived at pre-grid just as the group had completed the warm-up lap. I was then sent out dead last, 39 position. Time to "cowboy-up", I kicked my big Healey in the rear and dropped the hammer. Twenty minutes later when the checked dropped, I was in 14th position and had 4 more cars ready to real in. Passing 25 five cars on the demanding Laguna Seca circuit has been done before I'm sure, but being just my 3rd time around the track, I felt pretty good.....

For the feature race, I made sure I was in position with plenty of time to spare. Unfortunately my big Healey gave all she had to qualify and I lost 3rd gear in the transmission on the second lap after passing an additional 4 cars. I had to drop to the sideline and watch the race in despair.

We had a great time at the event and will be back for sure. John, it was wonderful to chat with you and share some Healey experiences. Thank you for all the BCF members for stopping by to see # 414 and talk Healey.

https://vimeo.com/72591657Team PDX Pic.jpgCork screw.jpgRolex-Historics-31-copy.jpg

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I thought I would share a the video I just received from Morgan racer Piers Gormly of our Saturday morning Group 3A qualifying race at the RMHR. I was held back until the very last car past Start/Finish after the warm-up lap. Pre-grid for qualifying was move-up 10 minutes for some reason and that information was poorly announced. I didn't even have time to set my camera. Started 39th and finished 14th, I pass Piers about 8.40 minutes and move on to battle Corvettes and Porsches. Terry Cowan passes him in the red Sebring Sprite coupe before that and Piers goes on to have a dice with another Corvette.