• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Painting the car with the fenders on

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
I know, I know, not really how it is supposed to be done but she'll never be more than a driver. What say you?

Anyone painted the exterior and then did the engine compartment when the engine had to come out later on using an at home sprayer (not rattle can)?

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Many sidescreens have been painted that way in th past. It was actually unusual to take it all apart for re-spray. Mine was done 45 years ago, tape over fender beads door handles, hinges etc. Very acceptable result. However, the more stuff you can get off, the better the job, in my opinion.
Same for engine bay, remove wires and anything that will come off.
Tom

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Skip, On a driver that is really the way to go. I hope you have all the lights off, that is a big rust area on the 6's. Just a little advise, buy some seam sealer and cut the smallest hole you can get is out of the tube, run it in the seams under the headlights and tail lights, down the rear top fenders and rear panel by the gas filler. Get a tooth pick and go at a 45 degree angle to shove the sealer down as far a you can.
This will keep out a lot of rain from the top side. wipe off all the excess sealer, of course. Not being able to get paint on the inside of these seams can be a problem down the road, just as information.

Wayne

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I had a TR3 professionally painted on the outside and then later pulled the engine and painted the engine compartment using a spray gun at home. I got a very good result. The car went on to the Concours field like that. Placed well and nobody ever commented regarding the paint that I did.
Charley

sqbsprite

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I would not risk it. I spent last winter taking the fenders off a car that I did not want to re-paint, but the rust in the seams was getting bad. It had been painted twice and there was very little rust anywhere else. The rust starts from within and then ruins a good paint job. It's time well spent and peace of mind knowing the joints are clean and sealed. Also, the lower part of the front and rear fenders that overlap the rockers, collect dirt and you will get rust through. It's not a matter of IF but WHEN it will show up.

IMG_20140201_165957_372.jpgIMG_20140308_124829_644.jpg

Country flag
I agree, even if you paint it as a put together body you should have it apart to clean out the flanges and other concealed areas and put at least some epoxy prime and rattle can on it to seal out future moisture. Otherwise you risk a couple years down the road seeing bubbling and the need to take it apart and do all that anyway. Better to do it up front and know what you have once color goes on.