• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Paint Protection Film

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I'm thinking about applying 3M clear bra film to several areas of my car to hopefully minimize the dings on the new paint job. I'm thinking of the area around the top of the rear shroud where the hood snaps on, both catch brackets where the prop rods are inserted when the bonnet and boot are raised and the two side plates that the safety catches rub when the bonnet is closed. Also maybe the rocker panels where I bang them with my shoes when entering. I thought about the boot latch also, but I doubt that would hold up.
Anyone have experience with this product and suggestions as to what might be better?

BJ8Healeys

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
No experience with it, but if it works and and isn't so obvious the first place I would use it would be under the front bumper on the lower shroud. My paint job is still pretty decent after 27 years, except that area looks like it has been sand blasted (which it has!)

Country flag
It looks great for the first few years but then dirt adheres to the edge adhesive which makes it look very obvious. It is suppose to come off easily. I wounder if it will effects the color fading and what happens when you polish with a "DA" polisher.

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
I have had 3Ms product on the front of my BT7 for about 8 years now. Still looks like new, no yellowing or color fade. It has done an incredible job of protecting the front of the car. It has worked well on a red car. Hardly noticeable. I would recommend it without any reservation and I will install it on the front of my Jaguar restoration when it is complete. Go to this post on my website and then scroll down to the bottom of the post to see an installation video I made. The curves in the body work that we all love on a Healey are a real challenge for the installer. The only thing I would have done differently, is that I would have put sections of the material on the front faces of the frame rectangular tubes as they have taken a beating from road debris. It would have been very easy to do. You can argue that no one sees that, but the underside of my car looks like the top side except for the chips caused by road pebbles and other debris.
Just my opinion. Good luck.

https://valvechatter.us/?p=2906

Lin

PHulst

Jedi Hopeful
Bronze
Country flag
I have 3M film on my 2008 Corvette, professionally installed in early May 2008. It has, without a doubt, saved the paint from some major damage based on things that have hit the front end while driving. Over time it has started to do just a bit of hazing/fogging, so it is not quite as clear as on Day 1. This is only notable it you are close to the car.

If I were to do it today, or if I redo this car, I would use Xpel.
https://www.xpel.com/

Better gloss level on Day 1, and 8 years later a better product than the 3M.

OP
Rob Glasgow

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
PHulst, have you actually personally tried Xpel for a number of years, or is your opinion based on advertising or experience of others? I'd like to know. Thanks

blueskies

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
My experience with these products is limited to professional application on new vehicles. Most people might not keep a new vehicle long enough to experience issues with this product. Can anyone comment on how difficult it is to do a top quality DIY job on the front end of a Healey, given the number of compound curves? And how about the removal process, if issues develop - like edges lifting and loss of clarity? One would hate to ruin a nice paint job.

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
Blueskies,
Did you read my post below and look at the video on my web site? I have experienced no problems with the 3M material lifting on corners or edges. I do a lot of things myself, but the application of this material on the front of a Healey would not be one of them! Just my opinion. The front of a Healey is a difficult job.
Lin

Country flag
This M Coupe showed up here recently; looks like it has a mustache; film brand is unknown. When we bought the 2001 M Rdstr, I had an appointment for getting it done at BMW's Roadster Homecoming, held at the plant in Spartanburg, SC (we took delivery the day the event at the plant, sort of like the ultimate souvenir). After seeing how it looked on similarly colored cars, I declined the installation__it was too obvious.

I liken it to human hair loss; you can grow bald gracefully, or wear a toupee'. I don't like toupee's :hammer:

IMG_2401%20%282%29.jpg

IMG_2401%20%2835%29.jpg

IMG_2401%20%2834%29.jpg

OP
Rob Glasgow

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Randy, I'm not looking for a muscatch but I do think the 3M product will not be so obvious. I'll let you know how it works out. Of course, I'm still putting things back together. Seems like it takes 3 times longer to reassemble as to disasemble. But at least the parts are clean....

PHulst

Jedi Hopeful
Bronze
Country flag
PHulst, have you actually personally tried Xpel for a number of years, or is your opinion based on advertising or experience of others? I'd like to know. Thanks

Haven't tried it. However, I have seen it at shows and followed reviews of it on other forums.
I actually have some of the self-install Xpel to put on my GMC truck, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Blueskies,
Did you read my post below and look at the video on my web site? I have experienced no problems with the 3M material lifting on corners or edges. I do a lot of things myself, but the application of this material on the front of a Healey would not be one of them! Just my opinion. The front of a Healey is a difficult job.
Lin

Lin, right you are. I had 4 film guys look at doing the front of my Healey. 3 of them said because of the curves, they would have to make a couple cut lines. One guy said, he does a lot of Porsches and the Healey will make the Porsche seem easy. He said he could do it without any cut lines where the curves are. He also said, if I remove all the chrome, he'll wrap all the edges too. Only see the one edge where we decide how high up the front we go. He brought a helper. 2 guys, 8hrs to do the front of the Healey. I'll include some photos of the install. One photo if you can enlarge it, may show the stop line of the film near the right headlight. This was done about 10 years ago. No yellowing, the edge line is still intact, not lifting, no dirt, looks like it has not aged at all. Can be polished and waxed. Just be carefull whenever your near the film edge and it'll be fine.
clear bra 011.jpgclear bra 022.jpgClear Bra 028.jpg