• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Overdrive switch on '59???

Afrodesia

So my '59 just arrived and all's relatively well. There are a few issues I was not aware of but hopefully that will get resolved. I am a little confused however, I notice an overdrive switch to the left of the steering wheel. I do not remember this on my dad's 59 and only know of overdrive coming in on later year. Did I just get a switcheroo?

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
You're lucky to get one with overdrive! They were available from the beginning of the series.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Just so. OD was a relatively rare (but very desirable IMO) option in the USA. Always available (TS1 and TS2 both had factory OD), although the OD details changed a bit over the years.

OP
A

Afrodesia

Whew! Thanks y'all. I am kinda new again to this (though I was the best tool kid & coffee fetcher back in the day) so my memory can be hazy. Well, is hazy.

I'm Very happy to have the OD but now I need to locate a trunk lid which I wasn't anticipating. And I need to figure out why car will only run when I'm spraying carb cleaner in the carbs. I'm hoping the 19-year-old kid that had it just didn't put gas in it but I'm expecting it to be a bigger problem. Usually is.

Thanks again! You'll be seeing me often from now on.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
You probably know this already, but there is a fairly active British car club in the Sacramento area : https://www.ubscc.org/

Looks like they are having a "show and shine" next week at the fair. Good place to make some contacts, even if your car isn't running. https://www.ubscc.org/clubevents.htm

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
TR3driver said:
... Always available (TS1 and TS2 both had factory OD)...

TS1 is LHD, and TS2 is RHD. A curious thing I read is that TS1 was built with engine TS3E, and TS2 was built with engine TS1E. Can anyone confirm that?? And where did engine TS2E go?? :crazyeyes:

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
martx-5 said:
TS1 is LHD, and TS2 is RHD. A curious thing I read is that TS1 was built with engine TS3E, and TS2 was built with engine TS1E. Can anyone confirm that?? And where did engine TS2E go?? :crazyeyes:

Kinda like Basil being member # 2 on the BCF here! :laugh:

Number_6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Afrodesia said:
Did I just get a switcheroo?
You can check the Serial No. to see if the overdrive is original equipment. if the SN ends with 'OL' the overdrive was installed at the factory as original equipment, the 'O' in the SN is for 'Overdrive. If the SN just ends with a 'L' then the overdrive was added sometime later.

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
My overdrive switch was installed with O/D option in the factory in Feb 1958. I took delivery of my TR3A in May, 1958 and the switch has always been (and still is) located as shown.

Attachments

• 29144.jpg
    29144.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 122

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Number_6 said:
Afrodesia said:
Did I just get a switcheroo?
You can check the Serial No. to see if the overdrive is original equipment. if the SN ends with 'OL' the overdrive was installed at the factory as original equipment, the 'O' in the SN is for 'Overdrive.
Actually, it's the other way 'round: If overdrive is fitted at the factory, the "O" is the very last character in the commission number, i.e., TS1LO.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Number_6 said:
If the SN just ends with a 'L' then the overdrive was added sometime later.
:iagree:

But, "sometime later" may have been before it left the dealers lot. And I understand there were at least a few ---O cars that had lost their OD by the time they got delivered (if, for example, the customer didn't want OD and that was the only TR they had in stock).

Andy is also exactly right about the "LO". My 59 was TS39781LO. The 'L' indicates LHD, so it might be missing on a car that was built as RHD.

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I just purchased a '58 TR3a and the commission tag on my vehicle ends in "LO" and the car does have overdrive (love it). But, I just received a British Heritage Certificate and it shows a commission number ending in just "L" (no "0") and it does not list Overdrive as a factory installed option. Help with this mystery?
Is the vin tag possibly a restamped replacement or original?
Tom

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Scott,
Here in California the commission tag is your car serial number. If you ever get into a "situation" with CHP or DMV having that "0" on the end of that tag is going to be a problem. That is unless your title shows the added "0". And it should not. The authorities do not seem to use common sense or good intentions as a determining factor in these cases.
Just having one digit off on the title cost me time at DMV and then a trip to the local CHP office for an inspection of the vehicle. This mistake was apparently the fault of Arizona DMV transcribing the numbers from a Calif. title to a AZ title. Then when I tried to bring it back to Calif. --problems.
Charley