• Hey Guest!
    British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!

    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)

overdrive switch in shifter knob?

trfourtune

Jedi Knight
Offline
hi all,
i found a site once that has a shifter knob with the overdrive switch in it but i cannot find it. does anyone know where this person or site is? i have seen it in action on either jack or tony drews video. i do not have the switch that mounts on the steering column (i think the overdrive was added by a P.O. (switch done poorly). The car does not have a "L O" serial number. I guess i could go either way. which is more reliable? Just about anywhere i drive (other than city) is in the mountains so i usually have my hand on the shifter.
Rob
 
I think you can buy them new from Rimmer Brothers in the UK. They fit the Dolomite and 2000/2.5PI range of Triumphs. It certainly impresses your passenger when you change gear without moving the stick!
 
it was someone in USA and not expensive
Rob
 
can't tell, need picture. will it fit a tr4? do i need to replace the shifter shaft and knob?
Rob
 
I think MGB's with O/D had the switch in the shifter as well...................
 
From Rimmer for the 2000 model

Overdrive Switch (less knob) - (1) - 520999A
Overdrive Knob/Switch Assembly - (1) - 153515
Overdrive Knob Cap Only - (1) - 153515CAP

art Number 153515
Description GEARLEVER KNOB COMPLETE - OVERDRIVE
Retail Price $77.90 exc. VAT
Exchange
Surcharge None
 
My '77 or '78 Spitfire (I can't remember which one) had the switch on the knob, and I thought it was a great place for it. Very convenient.
 
I bought from Quantum Mechanics a shifter knob w/ O/D switch that John had made up. I needed to rethread smaller the shift-lever and then routed the wire inside the boot.

https://www.quantumechanics.com

I don't know for sure but I believe the other shifter-knob switches require a hollow shift-lever.

-Lee
 
I believe that the Stag came with an overdrive switch in the Knob. Might be worth a look and it might just fit?
 
My recollection is that the TR3 had a hollow shift
trfourtune said:
can't tell, need picture. will it fit a tr4? do i need to replace the shifter shaft and knob?
Rob

My recollection is that the TR3 had a hollow shifter shaft but that the TR4's is solid. You could use a TR3 shaft but your knuckles would probably collide with the dash support.

Perhaps one of the kits cited or other applications cited have a hollow shaft that would work in a '4.
 
GT6 Mk3 had the OD switch in the knob. It requires the OD switch shifter knob, & a hollow gear lever.

Earlier OD GT6's & Spitfires had the OD switch on a separate small stalk on the steering column. I have used both setups, & I find the stalk-mounted switch much more easy & satisfying in daily use. Just flick your pinky while your hands stay on the wheel.

The stalk-mounted switch also is easier to install. It also requires a siamese valence for the stalk. They are often on ebay:

https://cgi.ebay.com/COLOUM-OVERDRIVE-SWI...1QQcmdZViewItem

https://cgi.ebay.com/OVERDRIVE-SWITCH-COW...1QQcmdZViewItem

I dunno so much about OD TR3's & TR4's, but you see the idea.
 
rotoflex said:
The stalk-mounted switch also is easier to install. It also requires a siamese valence for the stalk. They are often on ebay:

https://cgi.ebay.com/OVERDRIVE-SWITCH-COW...1QQcmdZViewItem

If you end up needing this part (the cowl/nacelle) I have one that's yours for the cost of mailing. It's plastic & for a TR4A but appears the same as the item pictured in the auction.

Came with my OD from Q-M but is for a later car (4A) with the headlights controlled by a stalk... not needed when adding an OD to a TR4.
 
Ever seen a 2 speed rear switch on a big truck ?
That's how I have mine set up. The switch mounts to the side of the shifter. Very convenient and can be purchased at any truck center for under $20. They come in red, but a little light sanding and a couple coats of black paint and they look good. Phil
 
Hi,

If I recall correctly, a Stag shift knob will work. But, as mentioned, there is a prob with the solid shift lever on TRs.

Here's my solution:

4030-4030-111032_56shift_knob_modified.jpg


The switch cost a couple bucks at Radio Shack. The knob was an old one I had laying around. The knob is a leather covered, aftermarket item. The leather is actually over wood, the same manufuacturer also offers a stained & polished wood version.

The knob had a metal emblem inset in the top (shift pattern or "Triumph" logo, I forget). I noticed the emblem was almost exactly the same diameter as the plastic bezel on the switch. So, I just popped out the emblem, used a Dremel to hollow out room for the switch and drilled a hole out near the base to route the wires. The wires *will* be exposed on the side of the shift lever. I may put black shrink wrap over it all. Still, I'll keep an eye out for a hollow shift lever that will work.
 
Back
Top