• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Overdrive speedo cable question

bnw

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I just got the new gray speedo cable from TRF (great sale going on for tr3). Looking at my car, the cable will have to take a very tight 90 degree turn to stay under the tunnel and make it up front. I didn't get a 90 degree fitting with my car so, what gives? Just make the bend and go for it?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
It should NOT be making a sharp bend at all. The cable comes out through the slot in the side of the tunnel, then through the floor behind the hand brake lever. Wide gradual turn out against the RH frame rail, then up the firewall on the RH side and across in front of the battery.

That's why the OD speedo cable is so much longer than the non-OD.

OP
B

bnw

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
So in, out, then back in again. Anything special about the out, in locations as is rubber gaskets/plugs?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Nope, just the handbrake boot that covers all of it. Since I've got a 4-synchro box in my TR3, which is just a bit longer than the original 3-synchro, I added a split piece of rubber tubing where the cable goes through the floor, so it wouldn't rub on the edge of the opening. But you probably don't need even that with a stock gearbox.

If memory serves, there is a clip that holds the cable to the RH frame rail, then another one on the ledge in front of the battery box. Otherwise it just lays loose.

Oh yeah, there is a grommet where the cable enters the cabin over by the pedal box. A real PITA to install over the nut on the speedo end. Soaking the grommet in silicone spray seems to help, a little.

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Randall is there any way to get a drawing, or diagram of that? One of the many things that were not on the car when I got it.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Of what, Keith? Here's all I can find at the moment, which shows the cable crossing in front of the battery

DSCF0083.jpg

PS, this was taken after the car was wrecked, which is why lots of things appear to be partially disassembled. Later they were completely disassembled
grin.gif

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
The cable was removed from my car when I got it. I have no idea of the correct routing. Any pictures you have would help. I will save them for future reference.