• Hey Guest!
    British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!

    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)

out of ideas

Sopwith_Camel

Jedi Knight
Offline
I rebuilt the carbs and am trying to get them installed.
I static timed the dizzy, so that is close, but still suspect.
I have the mixture nuts around 14 flats down from level.
im not sure where to start with the idler adjuster screws so i have been randomly trying things.

it fires up runs and dies.
the plugs are black.

what do i do next?
steve
 
if i pull the choke out it roars to life then dies, so the timing must be close.
 
sounds like you are close.

Black plugs says too rich so you might want to turn the needles up a few flats. You might also have to clean the plugs themselves.

Is there an issue with the carb floats themselves? or the float needle?

Adjuster screw should probably just be a few turns out - so the throttle doesn't go right to the bottom.

good luck!

Oh and saw this: chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://www.mgexp.com/phile/1/776667/SU_idiot_guide_with_addendum.pdf
 
I rebuilt the carbs and put in new floats, thats how i got into this mess.
i just re re read the hanes manual.
it says start with the idle screw one turn down from closed. ill try that afterwork tommarrow

I need to rebuild the carbs on the other MGs next summer so i need to learn this well.
or at least replace the floats with Ethanol proof ones.

thanks for the PDF.
steve
 
oh could it be the new floats? would that account for the Serge and quick die off?
 
could be the floats - or the needle. If the reservoir empties - and doesn't refill it will of course die. (I know - captain obvious). It may be that the float isn't dropping to allow more fuel to flow. Not sure about the surge though other than that the idle being high.
 
well its not the floats the measurement looks fine from the float to the rim.
I'm on 15 flats on the mixture nut. seems like a lot the Hanes manual said 12.
Not sure on the idler screw i started on one turn after it stared moving and slowly kept adjusting.

the start button on the starter solenoid realy helps defiantly recommend installing one.
 
You often get a short serge when the mixture goes lean just before dying.
Oops, thought I posted this yesterday.
 
Increasing the flats makes it richer not leaner - I think you need to move up to 10 or so
 
yep ten flats! and a tiny advance on the dissy and it is starting to run for a few seconds so i think we are on our way ... when it stops raining.
 
Back
Top