• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Our son Sean's Eagle Scout project (with Basil's blessing)

Country flag
Hey everyone, I sent the following message to Basil:

Hi Basil,
I have a request. And if it is not possible, I totally understand. Our son completed his Eagle Scout project last weekend. He built 10 new raised garden boxes for a community garden that grows vegetables for food pantries and the needy in our area with the help of 35 of his fellow scouts, family and friends. Last year the garden raised 850 lbs of vegetables and this year they hope to raise 1000 lbs. Each box consisted of 2 12x2x8' planks, 2 12x2x4' planks and 6 4x4x24" cedar posts. As you know from other posts on the Forum, the cost of lumber is astronomical. Mom and Dad covered the cost with the understanding that fundraising efforts would follow. My request is can I post something about his project and include his GoFundMe link?

He responded:
Sure - make a post in The Pub but state up front that you asked me and I said it was ok. Sounds like a worthy project - maybe in your post/ thread you can post some pictures?

Here's a link to some of the pictures taken during the project. Sean's Eagle Scout Project Pictures

I need to brag on Sean, just a little. We took Sean and his older sister in as foster kids when Sean was 18 months old. At that time, Sean did not know his name and was barely able to crawl. We adopted Sean and his sister 8 years later. He is about to graduate from a dual enrollment High School where he will get his High School Diploma and an Associates in Business Administration. In completing his Eagle Scout requirements, he joins the 4 percent of Boy Scouts that become Eagle Scouts and the1 percent of that 4 percent that are African American. This young man has accomplished a tremendous amount. So yeah, have to brag just a teeny bit. :smile:

I'll post pictures after his Eagle ceremony which will happen in a few months. This is one ceremony that will happen as soon as conditions allow. He has missed out on other ones as many have but this will not be one. Fortunately there is no time limit on the ceremony!

Thanks Basil for allowing me to post this here and thanks everyone else for reading this post. :smile:

Here is the link to his GoFundMe page: Sean's eagle scout project
Any monies raised beyond his goal will be donated to the garden to purchase tools, supplies, compost, mulch, etc.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Hey ya’ll let’s support this young man’s worthy project!

PS: I'm stiking this thread for awhile to be sure it gets noticed.

Last edited:

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The Scouting program is a great place for kids to learn values and respect. As I was a scout and raised by a one parent my scout master was a teacher at the JC College Aircraft school wing that I graduated from. My life is better for Scouting.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
The Scouting program is a great place for kids to learn values and respect. As I was a scout and raised by a one parent my scout master was a teacher at the JC College Aircraft school wing that I graduated from. My life is better for Scouting.
I was in scouting too when Dad was in Germany. It was a lot of fun.

Country flag
My oldest friend and I went through scouts from cubs at age 7 till we aged out at 18. A group of 6 of us worked our way through to Eagle back in the mid 70s, great fun and great times to remember

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
When my son was in BS I was working at the State Capitol in Sacramento CA. When Boy Scout Week came around and Regan was Gov. I set up a display of scouting Cub, Boy and Explore. Next to the Gov. door. I then asked all the State Congressmen if any had been Eagle Scouts. There was only one member. Does that say anything. His name was posted along with a number of new Eagle of that year in my display. The National Scout leader came to meet Regan that week. My display made the nightly news.

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Hi Peter,

I'm late to the party, but just put in my proverbial 2 cents (a bit more :smile:).

I grew up in Chicago, on the opposite corner of town (69th and Bennett) - I looked up the SRB community garden in google maps. Looks great!

And, thank you for "bragging" - you have every right. There are some incredibly impoverished parts of Chicago. I grew up next to one, and have experienced stuff that ain't pretty. I have also experienced wonderful stories - some time I will share my hit-and-run experience. Little steps like a community garden - or big steps like adopting - make a difference. Thank you.

OP
S
Country flag
Really appreciate any support gang. Cup of coffee, donut.....220-221 whatever it takes. :D

Jokes aside, it's pretty cool to drive by the garden every day and see the results of my son and everyone who helped hard work. I'll stop by and take some pictures now that things are growing and the boxes are filling out.