• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Our 20 year old cat

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Had her since she was 6 weeks old and she has been a loving cat who followed me everywhere. Reading about Basils 20-year-old cat told me I have to start thinking about her and her suffering with lack of eating, losing hair with serious matting, combing doesn't do much good, plus she is getting very weak in the hips. I've been putting it off for quite some time, mainly thinking just how much I'll miss her. Before she got into this condition she was a beautiful calico full of life, she's also losing her ability to get around. I know it's time to see the vet to give her eternal rest, it'll tear me up, but it has to be done. 20 years is a long time so I have to stop thinking of my feelings and think about her suffering, it has to end. Amazing just how much we love our animals, but it's still very hard to do the right thing.

Attachments

• Miss Prim1.jpg
    Miss Prim1.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 33
  • Miss Prim.jpg
    Miss Prim.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 33

Bob McElwee

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
I feel your pain Paul, been there, done that. Still feel guilty that I didn't stay with our first dog we had to have put down. Have stayed with the three since. I hope the Rainbow Bridge is really there!

Basil

Administrator
Boss
It’s one of the hardest things about having pets. We were scheduled to take Devon in but he passed naturally beforehand.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
So sorry Paul. We do indeed get very attached to the little critters. It is always hard when we lose one.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Paul, that's terrible news. Twenty years is a good run though. Just try to remember that you're doing what's best for her.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
When we had to put down our Irish Setter and then our Cocker Spaniel, I went in with the vet and "helped" by holding both of them. Janet couldn't bring herself to do it. But I will say it was quite peaceful; Casey (Cocker) laid his head down and "went to sleep". Glad I was there for both of them.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I've been there for all of them:
  • Peaches
  • Mimi
  • Daisy
  • Spot
  • Bubbles
  • Louie
We will have at least two more before it's our turn.

charlie74

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
It is very hard. We are dreading the day when our cat Mr. Burns (yes, named after that Mr. Burns) has to go. We rescued when he was about a year old. He’s pushing 18 now and fortunately still very healthy but his household of 4 humans plus many of his extended family will be absolutely gutted when the time comes. He’ll be in good company though with previous pets I’ve had and also much loved animals in the wider world.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Paul I understand where you are with your cat.
It has been just over a year since we lost our Toy Poodle Sammie. She was nearly 16 but had suffered with cataracts in her right eye for several years and they were forming in the left eye. Hearing was going or becoming very selective.
We knew that the time was coming as she had kidney issues and the vet was keeping a watch on that. Over the course of a few days she almost stopped eating so I took her back to the vet. The tests came back that she was in end stage renal failure and had pancreatitis. There was nothing that they could do for her so we decided it was time to let her go. The vet gave her s shot that made her sleepy and I held her till she was asleep.

I still question myself about the decision but know it was the right thing for Sammie.

When I was telling our neighbor about Sammie they gave me a copy of this from Ann Landers. I found it a great help.

David

charlie74

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I suspected so πŸ‘.

Paul, at the risk of further thread drift I offer condolences. It is amazing the companionship and comfort our furry family members give us and after so many years we often become dependent on them…

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Funny how ones mind works, every time I go to my shop now and return, I always looked for my cat Missy, to be waiting for me in front of the garage, when she would see me, she would walk halfway to the shop, about 300 feet, and wait for me to pick her up and carry her back to the house, a habit that was created by me when she was a kitten and she never forgot. When she stopped doing that two months ago, I knew she was failing. Sorry for rambling on, just 20 years of nice memories. Needless to say, I get very attached to our animals. 😒
Yes, I held her when she was born and held her when she passed 20 years later.

Last edited:

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Funny how ones mind works, every time I go to my shop now and return, I always looked for my cat Missy, to be waiting for me in front of the garage, when she would see me, she would walk halfway to the shop, about 300 feet, and wait for me to pick her up and carry her back to the house, a habit that was created by me when she was a kitten and she never forgot. When she stopped doing that two months ago, I knew she was failing. Sorry for rambling on, just 20 years of nice memories. Needless to say, I get very attached to our animals. 😒
Yes, I held her when she was born and held her when she passed 20 years later.
It's always hard to lose a beloved pet. One of our two remaining kitties, Zulu, is nearing 20 years old and seems to be going downhill of late. We don't expect her to be around much longer. Seems like just yesterday we took her in as a kitten.

Country flag
It's amazing how you can get attached. Years ago when I was a young teen my family was adopted by a stray caramel colored female kitten. My dad wasn't really a cat person but as she grew decided his lap and chest when sitting in his recliner, was the perfect napping spot. and dad grew to enjoy having her there for the 15 years she was around before getting ill.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
I posted separately that we just had to put down another 20 year old kitty, Zulu. God I hate having to do that.