• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

OT - what do you think, put a Rover V8 in it?

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
No engine or transmission...

!BoDB4SwBWk~$(KGrHqYOKiQEuD0+k)r-BLl-eVU(B!~~_12.JPG

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
I happen to have a 215 V8, it's the Olds version with Buick heads for higher compression. Would need a rebuild.

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Is that a Fiero Kit?

Cheers,
M. Pied Lourd

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
M_Pied_Lourd said:
Is that a Fiero Kit?

Cheers,
M. Pied Lourd

In case you are serious, that is a real Ferrari 308. I can feel my wallet shriveling up just looking at it, and I'm not even seriously considering it.

jdubois

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
tdskip said:
what do you think, put a Rover V8 in it?

As a fellow who's own 308 is currently looking at $20K+ in engine repair I can say, couldn't be any worse than the original engine :eeek:

jdubois

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
M_Pied_Lourd said:
Is that a Fiero Kit?

Considering there are probably less than 2000 of Fiero kit cars out there, compared to over 12,000 actual 308's made, you're much more likely to see a real one than a Fiero look-a-like.

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
jdubois said:
tdskip said:
what do you think, put a Rover V8 in it?

As a fellow who's own 308 is currently looking at $20K+ in engine repair I can say, couldn't be any worse than the original engine :eeek:

Yikes. I bet that is how this one ended up w/out a drive train.

jdubois

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Yeah, that's how a lot of them end their lives. The poor thing above is a nice early GTB. Shame to see it in that shape, but not uncommon. They've got finicky interference engines with tight tolerances. They don't take well to neglected maintainance, and the maintainance costs are expensive (belt/valve service every 3-5 years @ ~$4K or so, just to start). But once a problem occurs, engine repair can often times exceed the value of the car.

Country flag
455 Olds w/transaxle from a Toronado....case closed! Toronado is Italian sounding at least... :smile:

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Silverghost said:
455 Olds w/transaxle from a Toronado....case closed! Toronado is Italian sounding at least... :smile:

Great idea! I've got a 1969 donor if anyone wants to take this on...

Scott

swift6

Yoda
jdubois said:
They don't take well to neglected maintainance, and the maintainance costs are expensive (belt/valve service every 3-5 years @ ~$4K or so, just to start). But once a problem occurs, engine repair can often times exceed the value of the car.

That's why they say that the purchase price is simply the entry fee to ownership.

pjsmetana

Jedi Warrior
jdubois said:

Didn't the 308 QV have a similar engine to one of the 80s model Fords? There was a Ford V8 with the same bolt pattern if I recall. I even just saw one for sale the other day with this 'swap' done. He wanted way too much money for it, naturally.

I can't even see 20K for a crate engine, let alone the cost of a used 308... Do love the look of those 308s though. A Red 1984 Ferrari 308 QV is on my dream car garage list... just below the Spitfire and a TR3, and just above the Red 1994 Acura NSX-T and the Yellow w/ Flames 1932 Ford Roadster T-Bucket.

D

Deleted member 8987

I suppose I can do an EFI mod on my 3/4 race 1950 Merc flathead to get the underhood clearances down......and a generator off to the side instead of on top....
Make a nice driver, Flathead Ferarri.....

jdubois

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
pjsmetana said:
Didn't the 308 QV have a similar engine to one of the 80s model Fords? There was a Ford V8 with the same bolt pattern if I recall.

Hmm, don't know which Ford you're referring to. Unless it was also a mid-engined car, it'd seem surprising to me if the bolt pattern was the same, as both the tranny and the diff mount to the engine block in a funny way, and there's a three geared transfer case between the crank and the tranny input shaft that also mounts in there uniquely.

pjsmetana said:
A Red 1984 Ferrari 308 QV is on my dream car garage list... just below the Spitfire and a TR3

Me too... and I already had the TR3 and Spit :smile:

(BTW, why '84?)

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
pjsmetana said:
A Red 1984 Ferrari 308 QV is on my dream car garage list... just below the Spitfire and a TR3, and just above the Red 1994 Acura NSX-T and the Yellow w/ Flames 1932 Ford Roadster T-Bucket.
Wait a minute, Pete! Which one do you want? A T-Bucket roadster (based on a Model T body up to 1927), or do you want a '32 -- often referred to as a Highboy in roadster/hot rod lingo? :laugh:

Country flag
pjsmetana said:
jdubois said:

Didn't the 308 QV have a similar engine to one of the 80s model Fords?

The only mid-engined transaxle "production" Fords that come to mind are the Pantera and the GT40 and it's related "kin".

cheseroo

Jedi Trainee
I seem to recall years ago that someone made a kit to put a Ferrari V12 engine in the 308. There was a time that the V12's were somewhat available and not uber expensive. After all, they made the same engine for a number of years while people with more money than skill wrecked them. I always thought that would be a pretty neat car, the looks of a 308 with the sound of a V12. Hmmm, I wonder if a later 80's/early 90's BMW V12 would..........

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Rich said:
After all, they made the same engine for a number of years while people with more money than skill wrecked them. I always thought that would be a pretty neat car, the looks of a 308 with the sound of a V12.

Now THAT would be a conversion I'd willingly live with!

As for the money/skill thing: I LOVE those guys. :devilgrin:

Last fall a pal an' I got the 3.6L engine from a well smashed Porsche Cabrio for a real bargain to slot into a track car he has. "Weekend Andrettis" have been a source for a LOT of good purchases.

swift6

Yoda
cheseroo said:
I seem to recall years ago that someone made a kit to put a Ferrari V12 engine in the 308.

I always thought that would be a pretty neat car, the looks of a 308 with the sound of a V12. Hmmm, I wonder if a later 80's/early 90's BMW V12 would..........

That would be the Ferrari 365 GT4 BB and the BB 512/512i, though they used flat 12's. For a V12 to fit into a 308 it would have to go sideways or transplant a trnasaxle as well. The 288 GTO has a longitudal twin turbo V8 but the 308 is a sidewinder.

As an aside, there is a good chance that this particular 308 is one of the plastic cars. Did it specify in the description if it was fiberglass or steel bodied?