• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

OT - I'm totally bummed. FJR moving to a new home

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
This was a fantastic bike (fast/strong/stable/comfortable) but I just wasn't riding her much and every time I did I had a little part of my brain constantly thinking about the two little ones I have at home...

DSCN3977.jpg

D

Deleted member 8987

I remember when I had to get rid of mine for back issue reasons.

Still have the old CL 175 Honda scrambler....and I keep my motorcycle endorsement, but haven't ridden in over 10 years.

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
TOC said:
I remember when I had to get rid of mine for back issue reasons.

Still have the old CL 175 Honda scrambler....and I keep my motorcycle endorsement, but haven't ridden in over 10 years.

Hard to let it go, isn't it. Certain kind of experience/freedom with it.

Don_R

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Had a 73 CL 350 that I had to let go when I got divorced...loved that bike...wish I still had it...

D

Deleted member 8987

One of the issues with.....age and disability.....is you freaking HATE to give up some of the things associated with when you were able.

Ah, well.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Tough to see a good bike go. I hope to still have many good days on two wheels left in me. It'll be hard to give up when the time comes.

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Re: OT - I'm totally bummed. FJR moving to a new h

tdskip said:
every time I did I had a little part of my brain constantly thinking about the two little ones I have at home...

Tom, that's called being an adult! I had a very good friend/bike rider w/ 2 kids, who didn't come home from trip on the 405. My wife, 8 months pregnant at the time, gave me <span style="font-style: italic">that</span> look, and I got rid of my Ninja 750 sometime later. I pass my friend's spot twice every day, going up and down the pass....

IMO, you did the responsible thing.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Don_R said:
Had a 73 CL 350 that I had to let go when I got divorced...loved that bike...wish I still had it...

The wife or the bike :laugh:

SCguy

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

I guess many of us have been there giving up riding. The good news is that our children don't stay young forever. I'm now racing motocross again with a club named "the Over the Hill Gang". On any given race day there will be 15 or more 52+ old guys racing in my skill bracket.

But no street bike... too many deer where I live. I don't want to end up like most of them, dead on the side of the road.

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag

SCguy said:
I guess many of us have been there giving up riding. The good news is that our children don't stay young forever.

Does that mean I get to have a second childhood then? Wait, I'm not done with my first go around.

Hitting a deer at speed on a bike would, how do you say it, blow chunks. I've done some riding up in Gold County Larry, and the roads are fantastic, but I think going forward they'll be in a TR.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

tdskip said:
Does that mean I get to have a second childhood then? Wait, I'm not done with my first go around.
Of course you do. My father in law took up riding right after I met him (I was a good/bad influence, I think
grin.gif
). He's in his early 60s now, and rides all the time -- and just took up skydiving as well.

Deciding to stop/start riding is definitely a very personal decision. If you feel good about it, then you made the right decision. I've got friends who've gone both ways on the riding-with-a-family question, and they made the right decisions for their own circumstances.

Besides, Tom's got so many projects going right now that he shouldn't have any time for riding anyways. :smile:

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag

drooartz said:
Besides, Tom's got so many projects going right now that he shouldn't have any time for riding anyways. :smile:

Ah my friend, it is very important to pick the right tool for the job at hand....