• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Oops I did it again

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
By the way, does it have a chassis and body?

Enquiring minds want to know!

Apparently it is all there. Last picture you see the rear fender. The chassis is in the background - horizontally. The floor boards are about as big as a small desk. Rust is an issue - though the biggest challenge I think will be the rear body. It is one piece - hold your arms out like you were embracing someone and that is the size - and it is aluminum and heavily corroded. So I may need to get a new one built.

There are two engines - two rear axles - two steering racks - 5 wheels. The seats are there with no padding or upholstery. The owner, when he moved to Canada, he left it in the care of a friend in England with strict instructions to use it but not tear it apart. when he went back 5 years later it was in this condition - so he reclaimed it - put it in a crate and brought it home. Interestingly, when he got it here, customs made him tow it across Montreal (in the crate on a trailer) - they then calculated the original purchase price - converted to dollars - depreciated for 40 years and he had to pay $5 in duty!

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
The parody mentions how two of Britney's songs sound the same. Max Martin wrote both and is to blame (in my opinion) for about 35% of pop songs.

Darwin

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Is it done yet? Why not?

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Is it done yet? Why not?

My hero! :grin:

I haven't even picked it up yet, and, FWIW I have to finish #3 the Viva and then start #2 the Fiat and oh yeah time for some lovin' for #1 the Midget and of course I can't even get the Midget out of storage because the garage is full of drywall and 2X4's

AAAAAIIIIIII runs and assumes fetal position at back of closet. :rolleyes:

Darwin

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
So what the issue? Run out of coffee?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
DAR!!! Glad t' see ya made it back to the asylum!

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
So what the issue? Run out of coffee?

<snork>

actually today, spent a few hours sanding and mudding the breezeway. SWMBO will be pleased, and the breezeway is inbetween the house and the garage. Then, hopefully by the end of the week the basement will at least be drywalled if not yet mudded, then on to the Vauxhall! and yes, much much coffee.

And, how you been?

Darwin

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
You need the laser rust remover for sure.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
You need the laser rust remover for sure.

It would be amazing! I am hoping to pick it up in the next couple of weeks - at which point a better assessment will be possible.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
well, yesterday this happened:

I borrowed my Brother in law's van

mikes van.jpg

And drove about 5 hours to Ottawa (actually north of Ottawa - so I didn't drop in on Justin)

But this happened:

van full of austin.jpg

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
and five hours and about 20 hours later, this happened

backyard austin front small.jpg

I think that will buff out don't you?

This is the actual car in happier days

austin 7 2.jpg

and this the previous owner's wedding day:

wedding day.jpg

it is going to be a very very big project for a very very small car - will keep you posted!

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
So - got all your garage renovation done?

Oh goodness no, I haven't even considered it - that was largely hypothetical for no at least. We have the "breezeway" project - which is the (interior) space between the house and garage almost ready, walls are done and painted, we need to tile the floor, baseboard and at one end a wine fridge and countertop.

Then in the basement (unfinished) a wall to separate storage from laundry - not a huge job but the drywall and wood necessary to do it are occupying the garage space where the Midget would normally go (of course it is currently 32 deg F so who needs a Midget :rolleyes:)

Then the back porch where we will be replacing the old nasty decking with composite and installing railing and replacing a privacy screen,

and then something with the front porch as yest undetermined and of course we also need stucci repairs and the house painted.

Oye!

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
"So where is your spiffy Austin 7 being stored?"

It looks like JP has a good spot for it in the back yard.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
A kit car with some of the kit. New-old stock too. :playful:

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
"So where is your spiffy Austin 7 being stored?"

It looks like JP has a good spot for it in the back yard.

SWMBO thinks it would make a lovely planter! :smile:

All the boxes of bolts and small parts are in the garage waiting to be sorted. The sheet metal, frame and wheels and engines are in a shed along with the lawn mower, 1/3 of a Vauxhall and 2 1/2 Honda CT 90's (it's a decent sized shed)