• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR5/TR250 Only half of the tack is lit

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I just did a LED bulb upgrade in my dash. Change all the interment bulbs and big difference in illumination. Anyway the tack is only 1/2 lit. Had this problem before and you almost couldn't see it in the dark even with the rheostat turned up all the way. Slightly better with the LEDs so what can be going on here? Hope the pics show it.

Attachments

• 20210307_210528.jpg
    20210307_210528.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 20210307_210559.jpg
    20210307_210559.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 71

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Depending on which bulbs you used, they may not be dimmable. Did you replace both bulbs in the tach and did you verify that both bulbs were working before inserting into the back of the tach?

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
As above, and maybe check your ground. Also, since you had the issue before, maybe try hooking up without the rheostat - maybe it's faulty...

Mickey

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The LED's are polarized you may have wired it backwards. As for the Rheostat it should be jumped out anyway. I removed it completely 1973 TR 6 and removed the key switch under the steering wheel and installed it where the rheostat was. I just installed new Backlight Madflyer
DSCF2363.JPG

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Elliot I used the bulbs you used and yes all the bulbs are working. The rheostat has been eliminated and the switch used for lighting strips in the foot wells. I picked up 12v from the hot side of the ignition switch to power the strips so I would not have to turn on the driving lights to illuminate the strip lights. Just turn the rheostat switch on. I hooked the 4 red and white wires together with the solid red to give me my dash lights.

I have the 69 TR6 speedo sitting here and I took a look in the holes for the bulbs and there is a plastic blue lens in there. Is it possible that it could have been burnt/discolored by the incandescent bulb that was in there?

Madflyer backlight looks great. I discovered after a piece of vinyl came off on the bottom of my frame and where the glass flange meets the bottom frame has cracked and fairly heavily too. Looks like that the BL frame is coming off after all this.

Attachments

• footwell.jpg
    footwell.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 64

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
As I look at one of my other TR Tac's they are green color not blue and yes the old 3W bulbs do get hot. ( 1973 TR ) They are quite clear could a earlier owner changed colors. I do not remember my TR4 and TR 250 being blue. That is a question for the other TR 6 owners. But the RED wire would be correct. WHAT DO YOU THINK GLIDERMAN8 ???

Are you saying you have a Blacklight and is it OEM as in Alum. Mine is new and is Fiberglass. Either way it could be repaired but as you say adding to all your work.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Are all of the other gauges in your car illuminated in blue? All gauges in my ‘73 TR6 are green. And yes, the heat from the old incandescent bulb could melt the color lens.

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
All blue in my TR250 and also the speedo from my 69 TR6. Just went out to double check on the oil gauge because it came out of a 1970 TR6 because I ruined he finish to the original 250 one. It's blue too. Wondering if I can make some kind of sander and polisher to try to refinish the lens in there. Any ideas?

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I took the guts' out on a Tac and the colored lens are riveted in and very thin not imposable and the same on a gas gage. Madflyer

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
What other options do you have as to your restoration you could sent them out for repair, up-grade to GPS speedo and such I do not think blue is a option if damage is to bad. If green is an option you might find bad gages with good cases so yours could be used. I am still holding on to my extra gages but I know a lot of TR owners that my help. I also know of a 69 Parts car that could help also She will tell me what she still has in the car. latter today

Back to your Backlight I have a broken fiberglass that is new. It was send broken in shipment from the UK and they sent another one that is now installed. I can send a pic E mail or tex it can be repaired. I told the supplier I payed for new not repaired. It could be yours for just shipping from Reno NV. Madflyer