• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

One Man's [or Woman's] Taste or Pimp My Sprite

Patton

Jedi Warrior
I was heading back from a meeting in West Houston today when my well-trained British Car eye spotted a Sprite for-sale parked in front of a MACCO.

This wasn't your everyday Sprite, but a modified car. I decided to stop and ask about the car, and it belonged to the shops detailer. She LOVES her Sprite, and is only selling it because they moved from a house to an apartment, and the car does not need to be stored outdoors. The car has some low profile tires, along with a Toyota engine. The shop owner told me the car was "scary-fast". The car is a 63 Sprite, and they are asking.... $6500.

Here is my dilemma. I am looking at a car the owner obviously has spent some real time on the car, probably as much as many of use would spend restoring one to original. The work looks pretty good, at least better than the common 100 lbs of bondo and a cheap paint job. The biases of my personal taste make me wants to laugh at the car, but I appreciate the work they put into it, and really appreciate the passion she had for the car. Additionally, the owner is far of the traditional LBC demographic, and I think its good to encourage passion for our cars wherever I find it.

I told her I was president of the local Healey club, and would pass the information on, and I am, but is that enough? Should I try to give her a realistic view of the value of the car? Is there a market for modified Sprites to the pimp my ride types that would give it a different value structure? How do you react to cars that don't fit the norm?

Anyhow here are the pictures, including one with the phone number if you are truely interested. I hope it finds a good home....

Matthew E. Herd

Jedi Warrior
I'm sorry, but what a horrible car ... It is sort of interesting, but I simply don't care for the additions.

Personally, I wouldn't touch it with a 10' pole. Auto, if I see correctly? Plus, who insures it? I can't even get Hagerty or Grundy to insure my car! (Probably because I'm not 25, not because they wouldn't insure it for any other reason). I couldn't guess what I'd pay, because I'm afraid I simply wouldn't touch it unless it was given to me.

As an aside, a while back in GRM/Classic Motorsports classifieds, there was a spridget with a toyota lump, and I think he/she was asking quite a bit for it (10k?). I don't remember, but after consulting with the Nov. issue of GRM, I don't see it in there any longer. Who knows what happened to it ...

I hope this car gets a loving home, and I'll bet it is fun to drive. I'm afraid I'm a quasi purist. I prefer mostly stock to vintage style modifications. I'm afraid I choke a bit on engine swaps, even though they can be fascinating.

ummmm.....eerrr....ahhhhhh Ok... it sure is different. Lose the wing and maybe tone that stipe down a little, or it might grow on me...Naaahh. whats with the exhaust? is one side fake? or both sides? I kinda like thge bikini top tho...

mark

John Loftus

Darth Vader
[ QUOTE ]
Should I try to give her a realistic view of the value of the car?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Patton,

As you point out, it's not your cup of tea (nor mine!). To me it is nearly worthless but maybe, just maybe, they will find someone who really likes what they have done. I would think the chances of that are slim but they will eventually find out what the market will bear. I think highly modified cars are very difficult to put a value on. A bit like a painting or sculpture by an unknown artist .. either you like it or you don't but putting the value on it is thorny.

Cheers,
John

jcatnite

Jedi Knight
There are a lot of things I don't like about the car but there are a few things that I do like. It would need to be toned down a bit and the automatic would have to go. I don't know, I think it is just too far out there for me.
JC

Country flag
What a wierd little car. Side exhausts on both sides? The top is a sun shade but in the wet they'd be drenched. For someone wanting something vaguely original its more trouble than its worth. For someone wanting a modified its extremely idiosyncratic even for that.

Maybe asking the "nasty boys" would be better.

https://ntahc.org/modifiedhealeys/
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/modifiedhealeys/

A realistic valuation is probably anyone's guess! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

GreenHornet

Jedi Trainee
AAAAAAAAAND WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! A 428 Hemi in a 58 Sprite?
I am still trying to get my jaw re-located in my head after looking at those cars!