• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

old screw heads

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Restoring a mid-19th century French organ (harmonium).

Alexandre arrival 20 Nov 22.JPG

How the heck do you remove those old single slot screws??? None of my screwdrivers fit - keep twisting out of the slot. Screwdriver blades won't even go all the way to the bottom of the slot. Never experienced this before.
Tom M.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss

View attachment 83566

How the heck do you remove those old single slot screws??? None of my screwdrivers fit - keep twisting out of the slot. Screwdriver blades won't even go all the way to the bottom of the slot. Never experienced this before.
Tom M.
Gotta close up picture?

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Tom, do you have access to gunsmith's screw drivers? The blades for many of them are hollow ground rather than tapered, allowing them to seat better in some types of screws.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Picture? Vwalah!

IMG_1375.JPG

The screwdriver blade just barely goes into the slot. It's like the slot is too shallow, or the screwdriver blade "V" is too fat to go all the way into the slot. The screw slots deform easily (ask me how I know ...). Only thing that goes fully into the slot is a mini screwdriver, but that's not strong enough to turn the screw.

Thanks for any help!
Tom M.
Edit: Walt, never saw a gunsmith's screwdriver. Is there any appropriate substitute? Maybe grinding or filing down a standard screwdriver blade somehow?

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Edit: Walt, never saw a gunsmith's screwdriver. Is there any appropriate substitute? Maybe grinding or filing down a standard screwdriver blade somehow?
Thatโ€™s the first thing I would try. Find an old, relatively thick screw drive and grind/file to fit.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Thanks for the suggestions, which I'll try tomorrow. There are over 100 screws, of various sizes. Patience ... I must have patience.

By the way, here's a similar instrument after a complete restoration:

Very different sound, capable of much more expression, compared to the typical nineteenth century American reed organ.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I agree that grinding the head a regular screw driver is likely your best bet.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I have the large 'professional' set of Chapman drivers and bits in my shed, a small one for my range bag, and I have bought a small set for two of my boys.

Now I also have a set of Grace bits and a driver for single actions because they have deeper holes on the grip frame and you need a bit that is longer than the Chapman set.

Both are American made brands and are very high quality.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
For anyone needing a sleep aid, here's a link to photos of my (slow as molasses) restoration work, day by day.

The instrument was built to be relatively simple to disassemble; each "layer" lifts out to reveal the next layer. Stop rail, keyboard, pallet board, wind valves, bellows system, etc. Fortunately, most layers have few screws to mumble and fumble with.

equiprx

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I agree that grinding the head a regular screw driver is likely your best bet.
A bunch of the microscopes I work on have very thin slotted screws.
Use the slowest speed grinder you can get.
High speed heat softens the tool.
Cool in oil.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
That's a very cool harmonium Tom. Keep us posted.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
interesting pics - yet no notes. :ROFLMAO:

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag

View attachment 83566

Tom M.
My parents had an American pump organ of similar vintage when I was a kid. Had about 2X more pull knobs. Probably weighed 1000 lbs and was very difficult to give away when they moved. It apparently came from a church and if you pumped quickly it could put out some serious volume!

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I bought some old wooden handle screwdrivers from a flea market vendor. Fit all the old screws. Gun screwdrivers will work but might twist under extreme pressure. Kind of like pulling the screws out of the 50s Jags with all those slotted screws rusted in place.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I have the large 'professional' set of Chapman drivers and bits in my shed, a small one for my range bag, and I have bought a small set for two of my boys.

Now I also have a set of Grace bits and a driver for single actions because they have deeper holes on the grip frame and you need a bit that is longer than the Chapman set.

Both are American made brands and are very high quality.
Small Chapman set here, #9600 from the early '70's. For the small stuff (Japanese lenses in particular) I have a set of Vessel screwdrivers made to fit the profile of the Japanese fasteners. Jewelers' sets for watches and cameras. Swiss files, too. Hard to do a proper job without the right tools! If there is an American made equivalent, it's what gets bought, but some of those things just aren't readily available. For a time in the late seventies it was difficult to find US made micrometers!

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Most of my fine stuff is American, like my set of mics and most of my measuring devices are Starrett. I do have a mix of American and Swiss watchmaking tools. I use a modern set of Bergeon screw drivers but my staking set is an old K&D set from about 1915.

Usually I buy used tools because I can typically afford better quality. In the shed I mostly have Mac because that is what my dad had. I've bought some Mac where I could, but I also have some old Thorsen and Craftsmen from the 50s and 60s.

Last edited: