• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

OK guys - pick this one apart...

equiprx

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Is it me or does the paint job look dull and lumpy in spots?

bgbassplyr

Darth Vader
.....And with all the pix, you'd think a few would be the boot and under the bonnet, not to mention the interior. And what are those two dimples on the bonnet, rivets?

And I, too, notice lumps, scrapes, and such. But it looks better than mine.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
tdskip said:
Randall - do you know this car? Saw a SCOTA sticker on it.
I probably should, but I don't.

One thing I would like to point out, the seller makes a big deal out of the "black" plates. They used to be a good indication that the car had been registered in CA since (nearly) new, but that is no longer true. Under current CA law, anyone can buy a "black plate" wherever they find one (very popular items on eBay) and get it registered to any car made between 1962 and 1968.

Also interesting to see the upgraded generator control box. I've thought of trying that, but never got around to it.

KVH

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I could see trying to save it. Someone has had some pride of ownership.

It needs some work. Looks like someone has messed with the voltage regulator and wiring. The controls on the lower part of the center console bracket are missing. The seats could be redone. That black painted dash isn't so great. Someone has swapped around the gauges, and even replaced one with a non-stock substitute.

I don't care for that fat red positive ground wire bolted onto the engine, if that's what it is. Those rivets in the bonnet are quite a detraction, and somewhat of a scare.

The undercoating on the frame bothers me a bit. The body needs some work, and new paint is in order. Shined up, oiled tires for show always raise a flag.

But I hope someone cares for the car and keeps the black plates.

My local DMV stole my California black plates. That I'll never forget, but I suppose it was my fault.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Well I don't know if you would have to look long and hard to find abetter one or that the motor ticks over 'imperceptibly' as the seller says, but the panel fit is pretty good and there are no signs of major rot undr what looks like perhaps a hasty respray.

I saw one that looked worse go for over 10k on Ebay couple years ago, interesting to see where this one goes.

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi Folks,

I have`nt looked at this one cause of the 100+ pics. There are quite a few very questionable things about this car especially if the "Buy It Now" is approaching $20K! If I were in the mkt to buy one & had $20K to blow away; The car I would buy would have to be darn perfect! This one is "Far From a $20K" car.

Hey; You can always save a buck & buy the `62TR3B for $18K that`s on ebay now & It only needs a little "TLC"!! LOL.

My $.02 without getting into detail.

Russ

PS: I`d hate to have a "Dial-Up" acct. & want this car; It still would be up-loading from the past weekend.

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Pick pick pick. Hey, it's sold with original owner's handbook.

Second go on eBay, they just want too much for what it is.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
As a used car dealer, they are more or less obliged to buy cheap and sell dear. Tough to stay in business the other way around!

As for "Dial-Up", what's that ???
:banana:

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
Actually, I really love this car. I really appears to be very original, except for minor details. It's almost an exact duplicate of my first TR, but that was a 1967, 4A model.

I especially like the transparent spare tire! :jester:

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Andrew Mace said:
or otherwise unsold/untitled until 1965!
Especially with a STC-63 plate!

DSC00432.jpg

Does anyone else find those screws suspicious? Not to mention how the commission plate (supposedly installed by the factory) overlaps the STC plate (installed by the dealer)!

BTW, Jim, there are a few shots of the boot & under the bonnet. It's just hard to navigate around to see all the photos. With my browser, I wound up having to alternate between scrolling the overall window one way, and the window with the photos the other way.

It might be easier to deal with the album on Photobucket directly:
https://s445.photobucket.com/albums/qq174/irishlad11/1965%20Triumph%20TR4/

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
TR3driver said:
Andrew Mace said:
or otherwise unsold/untitled until 1965!
Especially with a STC-63 plate!
Ok, that helps a bit (yet creates yet another puzzle)! I can't see those pictures here @ work. :frown:

A 1963 date on the title would make sense if the car were actually first delivered sometime in the fall.

tr5er

Freshman Member
There are a few things minor things:
The steering wheel looks strange and I dont think the horn is on the wheel.
There is an extra horn button wired onto the dash.
The horn in the engine compactment looks out of place.
The spare tire is missing the hook and shaped nut that hold it down to the boot floor.
The black painted dashboard is very poor.
There are several other things that have been mentioned by others in the string.
On the whole it looks a good enough car but does need some time effort and a bit of money. I cant say what it is worth bidding but best of luck and I hope you buy it.
Joseph

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
tr5er said:
The steering wheel looks strange...
It looks to me like the relatively rare "factory" option wood-rim wheel (made by Formula, IIRC); they often go for $200-300 in good condition!
tr5er said:
The black painted dashboard is very poor.
I'm assuming that this was mostly a matter of taste or preference for a previous owner who didn't care for the original Spa White painted dash (wood facias being an option on the TR4).

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
I have a Formula wheel on mine and that does look like one, or something very similar as I think the boss on mine is different.

Doesn't look like the seller has that much familiarity with the car, why else take so many shots with the top down, but don't stow the hoodsticks properly?

Looks like a solid car, but I would definitely need to repaint it, the lower sills have too many noticeable chips there.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Things I find strange.
Buttons on the bonnet? what are they?
aftermarket horns.
Big nasty hole in the dash to the left of the gauges.
Dash is black. should be white.
Front tires seem to stand out of the wheel wells a bit too much (I wonder if they used spacers under the hub adapters to keep from cutting the studs)
I see evidence that the car was once red. (Rockers, and around empty bolt holes under the bonnet.
Overall it like like a nice car, And I wouldn't bee to skeptical of having it, but 20K seems high for that level car.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
TR3driver said:
DSC00432.jpg

Does anyone else find those screws suspicious? Not to mention how the commission plate (supposedly installed by the factory) overlaps the STC plate (installed by the dealer)!
Yeah...now that I have viewed all the photos, I see what you mean. The commission number plate looks to be the original, but it also looked to have had the black part repainted (not easy to do, btw)! But it should not overlap the "STC" plate, nor should it have anything but rivets. Most details would seem to point to about the right period for that commission number, but I'd still like to see a body number (and engine number, if it's also original).

One thing that surprised me a bit was to see the 48-spoke wire wheels. I know they were original on the earlier TR4s, but I just don't expect to see them nowadays on TR4s.

Oh, and I agree that it really would be nice if someone showed the seller (photographer, whomever) how the hoodsticks stow BEHIND those upholstery panels, after which I suspect the tonneau just might fasten up very nicely. :wink:

Can't really tell if the car's always been Conifer or not. I do see those few spots of red, mostly on the lower sills, but I wonder if the sills might have been replaced with NOS sills, which usually came in red oxide primer?

equiprx

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Banjo said:
Things I find strange.
Buttons on the bonnet? what are they?
aftermarket horns.

What i"m guessing is at one time someone put a UK type registration plate on it. It wouldn't be out of place except it's a left hooker.