• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Oil pan heater

hondo402000

Darth Vader
Hi guys, I was thinking about installing one of these oil pan heaters on my TR6 when I get the new engine back, any one done this? I figure cheap insurance to keep the oil warm and make it for easier stating and warm up

Hondo

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Expecting a huge global weather shift Keith

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
hondo402000 said:
Hi guys, I was thinking about installing one of these oil pan heaters on my TR6 when I get the new engine back, any one done this? I figure cheap insurance to keep the oil warm and make it for easier stating and warm up

Hondo

A waste of money, IMHO, especially in your climate.

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Hondo, use a good 5W-30 Synthetic year round. If you are worried about the ZDDP for the lifters, it might be a mute point with good quality materials like you are getting.

Wayne

PS Give this a once over, you might find out we have been doing it wrong for a long time.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/cms/index.php

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Andrew Mace said:
trrdster2000 said:
Hondo, use a good 5W-30 Synthetic year round.
I don't wish to turn this into yet another "discussion" on oils and additives, but isn't any 5W just too thin for these older engines?
Well, don't forget the "W" stands for "Winter", meaning it gets rated at something like 22F below zero! Once the engine warms up, it's a 30 weight oil, which is what the factory recommended in the British Isles. And if the oil temperature gets over 212F, it's actually thicker than a single grade 30 weight oil (at the same temperature).

There is also discussion in some circles about synthetic oils not needing to carry as much pressure as conventional oils.

But I still prefer 20W50. Maybe 5W30 would work just fine, but I prefer not to find out the hard way.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
TR3driver said:
Well, don't forget the "W" stands for "Winter", meaning it gets rated at something like 22F below zero!
Hey, here in upstate NY I know from winter! And I affirmed again, this winter, that 20W-50 really doesn't cut it in a Triumph Herald engine when the temps get down to about -10 or lower!
TR3driver said:
But I still prefer 20W50. Maybe 5W30 would work just fine, but I prefer not to find out the hard way.
That's my feeling exactly! (Ok, I did go to 10W-40 for winter, but all things considered, worst I'd go in extreme cold is 10W-30, not 5W- on these older engines!)

OP
hondo402000

hondo402000

Darth Vader
I was thinking about the oil pan heater so it kept condensation from forming in the pan during long inactivity times. it would also help in getting the oil up to temp faster. and besides its only 69.00

Hondo

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I know there has been many posts about this but.... I'm just about ready to reinstall the oil pan and refill with oil (TR6).
What is best to put in? 20-50 VR1? Something else?
Help!

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Elliot, you should know better than open up that COW (can of Worms). The Val will work if that's what you like. The growing trend which I am happy to say I had a hand in help starting ,at least on this forum, is the Brad Penn that supposedly comes from your area. It's the old Kendle (is that spelling correct?) and owned by Brad Penn .

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Hondo, I never used one on any car here in New England or in Western PA. Diesels are another story, but gas engines are fine in our area, let alone in yours.