• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Oil Leaks!

K

KSIS

So I decided to change all the oils in the Spit. Diff, tranny and motor. While I was under the car I decided to clean the old oil and dirt to make her look pretty. I found the lowest bolt on the timing chain cover loose. I went ahead and snugged it up to find it is stripped. I was able to tap and get a larger bolt in there and she snugs up.
When I fired her off and took her for a spin, I found I am leaking oil like a seive. Cleaning the grim off the engine opened up many weak spots. I have many of them resolved but the lower timing cover. I didnt think there was that much pressure behind the cover as there is the metal plate between two gaskets.

Wondering if I buggered the block and will I need to pull the engine or is there a different avenue to take.I am currently venting to the atsmosphere.

doughairfield

Jedi Trainee
I was wrestling with a good number of leaks on my TR4 which finalized my decision to pull the motor, so I feel your pain. Did you put a little jointing compound on that bolt for the timing cover when you put it back in?

When I was researching ways to at detect the leaks in the hope that I would be able to fix them without pulling the motor, I saw a product you add to the oil that will make it glow under a black light, though I never tried it once I discovered the state of my valve guides. You could try cleaning up your engine, using that additive, and then seeing where the leaks are coming from. If it's all over like mine was, it will at least help you to know where to focus your efforts when putting your motor back together.

OP
K

KSIS

I would love to pull the motor and do a gasket set. But I'm afraid of the domino effect. I'm not ready to do all that work.

Oil leaks:
pull engine/tranny/replace gaskets
paint /detail engine compartment
pull tub/paint frame
detail suspension/replace bushings
paint tub

doughairfield

Jedi Trainee
oh yeah, serious domino effect. I wound up rebuilding my transmission too while I was at it. How I justified that, I still don't know.

If you do wind up using that additive, let me know, I'm sure I'll have an oil leak at some point.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
This seems kinda odd. You Triumph guys have always told us MG guys that only MGs leak! Hmmm. I just had to say that. :devilgrin:
In all reality, I'm very familiar with the situation. PJ :jester:

OP
K

KSIS

In all honesty it didnt leak (that much) before I started messing with it. I'm still kicking myself! I had my MG and it didnt leak. I have my fingers crossed for when I get home. I pulled the bolt out and covered it with RTV and stuck it back in. I will take it for a drive and see how it is.
I have one more can of brake cleaner and a shopping cart with gaskets saved readly to order.I may just pull the front off with the motor in the car...The radiator needs a paint job anyways.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
I believe that lowest bolt on the timing cover actually bolts into the infamous front sealing block. On the other hand, if you've succeeded in retapping it and getting the bolt snugged down, odds are the timing cover gasket and possibly even the crank seal are bad. If that bolt has been loose, I'd almost be willing to bet on the timing cover gasket (just a paper gasket).

It's a bit of a pain to change, so it would be worth changing the seal when you change the gasket. And since you've already done one round of cleaning up, maybe you'll be able to resist the temptation to ultimately restore the entire car while you're changing out the seal and gasket. :wink:

doughairfield

Jedi Trainee
I think there is an oil seal inside the timing cover where the dog bolt goes into the drive shaft. If you're taking the timing cover off, i'd replace that since it's cheap and easy. Also, and you probably know this, but that RTV takes 24 hours to fully cure, so i'd wait a day before putting it to the test.

JRC

Yikes. I'm leaving the gunk on mine for now. I want to drive it in the sun for a few months before starting the new round of fixes.

OP
K

KSIS

I thought I was going to ba able to get one more season out of it before a tear down. I did let the RTV set for 24 hours. Drove it to pick up my son from track practice last night and then parked it in the garage. Crawled under it at ot looks like the thin paper gasket is shot and the crank seal is bad and slinging oil. So I pressed send on the shopping cart.