• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Oil Drain plug size

bammons

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I searched for this but did not see it. i want to put one of those plugs in that have a lever to drain oil. What is the size and thread count of the oil drain plug for a TR4A? Thanks Bruce

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
1/2 inch pipe thread I do not think I would put on anything that could be knocked off. I came across a rock on a back road and choose the wrong side and put a hole in my down EX pipe but not the oil pan. Madflyer

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
I wouldn't want one either, but Moss sells them not with a lever, but with a knob...Part #328-341

OP
B

bammons

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
So 1/2" pipe thread. I use these valves on my other vehicles and to me it makes it less messy to change oil. Less messy means I don't avoid doing it as much. It comes out the side so if I get one that is straight and not angled down then I don't see a problem with knocking it off but please correct me if your experience is different. Bruce

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
For me the messy part is the filter and I never change the oil without doing the filter too. If that's the case, I don't see that you gain much. A spin on conversion makes that a little easier but still messy.
Tom

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
How often does your oil and filter need changing...I go 3000 miles which makes for about 3 changes within a span of 2 years..

titanic

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
If the catalogs are right, the engine drain plug is 3/8" NPT, which is the same as the drain/fill plugs on the trans., and the fill plug on the diff.
Berry

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Either NPT or BSPT. Best to get the right one too. I assume Moss has the right one.

Ken, I change oil yearly usually. Cars have around 2000 miles, if a lot less, I skip the change. Way too often in my opinion but this usually goes along with some other maintenance.

Tom

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I have had my TR 6 on the road for over 27 years. In spring I rotate the tires with the spare Xed and change the oil each year and the filter every even year. Magnet drain plug tell the story of my oil. It is a road car not a daily driver. Now if I take it in to town well that is 100 mile round trip and 250 miles around Lake Tahoe from home. You can get acid test strips. I use Valvoline Full Synthetic 10/30. Madflyer

OP
B

bammons

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Guys - If you are not 100% sure of size please don't post it. So now I have two different sizes and two different thread types. Never mind I will find out myself when I get the car back from the body shop. They have my manual also. I always change the filter and yes I do have a spin on conversion. I was not going to use Moss. I have bought two off of Ebay I think they are FoMoTo or something like that but to order there I need EXACT sizing. Oil changes are messy we can all agree but anything that reduces that is a plus in my book. A magnet can still be used to draw bits to the drain location no matter what plug you use. For that matter Moss has magnetic plugs I believe. Madflyer The full synthetic 10/30 does not have ZDDP in it does it? Bruce

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
bammons I see the reason for the different sizes The Bentley book shows two on spec sheet but does not give CC # they are 3/4UNF --1/4NPSI so good luck. and yes my oil does not have ZDDP . Madflyer

OP
B

bammons

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
OK I read my last reply and I got a little snippy there. I apologize. Some of you above talk about bits coming out with the oil. I just rebuilt my engine should I expect pieces and bits in the oil? Have not run it yet. And I had to immediately park the car when I bought it so I do not have the experiences of changing TR's oil. Bruce

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Hopefully not bits and pieces of any size in a new engine, maybe just some hairlike fluff attracted by the magnet.