• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Of Headers and Manifolds...

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Yeah. Dennis Hopper comes to mind.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
TONY!!! Are any of th' "used" ones "Hooker" headers?!?!

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
hehehehehe...wanna see photos tomorrow, Doc?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I wanna call ya names now... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
2 - Doc - count 'em - 2!!!!! hehehe

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
You're likely to get a call t'morrow....

i always thought a "manifold" was the the exhaust stock or original portion bolted to the engine, and a "header" was a larger diameter aftermarked/modified performance replacement for such.

[/quote] nutmeg, i didnt know dinah spoke italian. "hand gesture -- AAAH" /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
The term manifold is used in many applications. I believe the term came from the early plumbers who helped develop components of the automobile. A manifold is defined as a pipe or chamber having multiple apertures for making connections. Hence, intake manifold or exhaust manifold. You will also find a manifold on a pumper fire truck where several hoses can be attached.

Header also has it's origins in plumbing, were a header is defined as a pipe that serves as a central connection for two or more smaller pipes.

So, is it that a header is made from pipe and a manifold cast the difference in describing these components that do essential the same thing?

To much time on my hands.....

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Ant'ny said:
nutmeg, i didnt know dinah spoke italian. "hand gesture -- AAAH"

She usually started that gesture a bit higher up her face than th' one you're thinkin'.

DrEntropy said:
Ant'ny said:
nutmeg, i didnt know dinah spoke italian. "hand gesture -- AAAH"

She usually started that gesture a bit higher up her face than th' one you're thinkin'.
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif ya mean like under her chin? or perhaps the ole thumb nail behind her two top front teeth flick? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

piman

Darth Vader
Hello all,

you do make life complicated!, over here the bit that attaches to the cylinder head and couples to the rest of the exhaust is a manifold. It can be a simple basic cast iron one or a real engineered performance tubular design. Both are manifolds.

Mention header over here and you are into football (soccer) talk.

Alec

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
We too have other meanings associated with the word header. But let's not go there.

OP
Nunyas

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
header? why I hardly even know her!