• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

November 22

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Boy, you made me dig into the old memory banks Tom! I was at my grand parents in Lakeland Florida, dad wasn't home yet and I stayed with them until the war was over. He was discharged at the Brooklyn Navy Yard in 45, took a train to Fla. and picked me up to go back home. Long time ago! I remember the radio broadcasts that everyone kept their ear to, but to me at the time I was more interested playing games. :encouragement:

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Mike - excellent post, and excellent photo.

Why not start a new thread, on just such a thing. "Small bits of history" we remember. Maybe photos too.

Thanks.
Tom M.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Mike -

Great picture and thoughts!

Don't think the hat's on backwards - looks like the brim's raised in front to clear the camera when sighting. Also, the indentations in the crown are correctly in front.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Yep, hat brim up to allow easy viewfinder sight. That's a Graflex 4x5 Speed Graphic with a 25A flashbulb attachment. Press camera. Cable release on the front shutter. I've one on my living room shelf along with a few "folders"and a Leica 3c. Looks like a Weston light meter in his hand.

The same camera with a rangefinder attached. To the right, an Argus C-3 "brick".

graflex1.JPG

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Yep, hat brim up to allow easy viewfinder sight. That's a Graflex 4x5 Speed Graphic with a 25A flashbulb attachment. Press camera. Cable release on the front shutter. I've one on my living room shelf along with a few "folders"and a Leica 3c. Looks like a Weston light meter in his hand.

The same camera with a rangefinder attached. To the right, an Argus C-3 "brick".

Beautiful camera. Happy I don't have to lug it, but boy, I expect that to be a work of mechanical ingenuity!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
As part of my "apprenticeship" my mentor (he was formerly the Medical Examiner's Photographer in Baltimore, MD.) had me learning to use the 4x5 to do "bride chasing" weddings. Also the processing of sheet film. The garage we were building when JFK was killed, a year later had a 6'x12' room in the back left corner as my own darkroom. My deal with The Old Man was that I would need to generate the money to buy my own film and chemistry. He didn't charge me rent though. :wink:

It could be said that Kennedy's assassination and subsequent events were somewhat influential in my career choice. I wanted to be where events of import/impact could be captured on film.

jfarris

Jedi Trainee
Gold
Country flag
Late to the show as usual. I was 13 yo, we got the announcement over the loud speaker at school. I can't remember what class i was in but we discussed what had happened and what those kinds of acts might mean to our country. Of course, none of us had any context for a political assassination. I had my Eagle Scout Board of review that night. No surprise, they asked questions that I wasn't prepared to answer, but we had a good discussion. It was a turning point that also pointed me to the military in later years. Ironically, I realized that I had the same sort of feelings the day I saw UA Flt 175 ht the South Tower. How can this happen in America? The thoughts and deeds of man are, at times, evil beyond what we could ever imagine.
Happy Thanksgiving, try to avoid turkeys!