• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Not sure on the ignition

Slick Willy

I have decide i will completely replace the ignition i have. it has failed. The new FAST xr 700 is what i want for my 68 sprite. But im not sure on which one to get theres several. Called moss motors and the young boy said they all work. When i started asking questions he went blank. Put me on hold then i was cut off. Anyone know if the XR700-2301 would be correct? Im gonna replace coil, and the complete system. Thanks for any advice.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
And when I asked the person who knows these ignition systems in British Cars the best, if it was your car points or electronic ignition he responded, " The only one of my vehicles equipped with Electronic Ignition is my Tractor, and in my Tractor I can always walk home." Nothing more needs be said!

OP
S

Slick Willy

Ok really dont get it, so your friend dont own a car newer than the 70's? Im sorry. He must be extremely down on his luck. I enjoy a wide range of driving and the thrill of different vechicals. Its best said if you dont want to help someone, dont. But dont speak out aginist someone elses dream or thier struggle. Sorry but its how i feel and i dont know these cars best.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
His opinion was that both of these option for electronic ignitions can leave you stranded. Nothing in a In my case 1960 Bugeye in inherently reliable. Part of the charm as owning one of these cars requires having a tinkering gene and a large amount of problem solving ability. Crane seems to be more reliable once set up, but they are out of place for originality. And everyone will have an opinion on this subject. Good luck I wish you well.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
OP
S

Slick Willy

Yeah maybe i miss understand. The original distributor steup was change in 1980. My uncle bought the car while recovering from wounds he recieved in Vietnam. It ran the crane cam version without a hiccup. But at last it finally gave up the ghost. Sorry about the bad attitude just been very sick from surgeries and long va hospital stays. I googled but cant find a solid pin down. I run points in my 41 wc dodge, 54 Desoto, 57 Chrysler is switched over. But to be honesty points arent reliable. I carry spares in e everything. To include my Harley. But i dont have the original setup and the car is a daily driver. so i really want an electronic ignition. Antone know of a different setyp?

D

Deleted member 8987

Points are VERY reliable. Modern factory designed and installed electronic is generally very reliable (but if it quits, have good towing insurance).
Attitude? Yes. Understandable after surgery? Yes.

The comment was on our British cars. If you want REALLY unreliable, find the original Brit electronic ignition...and keep a complete points distributor in the boot.

I carry old points and condensor after tune up.....and I have to say, in 50+ years, I don't know if I have ever needed them.

"It ran the crane cam version without a hiccup. But at last it finally gave up the ghost.". Okay, failed. But if it was built into the distributor when changed in 1980, you don't have an original to go back to.

We used to put electronic conversions in cars in shops I ran....all the old parts went in a zip lock baggie in the boot to get them home.

OP
S

Slick Willy

I guess. I have never heard of anyone picking points over an electronic ignition. Unless its a wanna keep as stock show car. Thats just the approch we see in hot rodding, harleys, and off roading. As far as tinker genes as quoted. i do my own work and own several different types of cars and trucks. Some even with points. I spent several years as chief of repair for the coal company i worked for. Im also certified in the industry as an electrician, foreman and EMT. And the first thing i always stressed is ask questions. Thats why im hear. As much as i have done. I dont know everything. Plus i really thought that forums where for enjoying a passion and to learn. Now if any of this seems wrong im sorry. I have never heard of points making it 30+ yrs either. I dont have any of the original parts, long gone before i got it. But the old car has served gracefully for years. I really dont care about keeping it stock. Its a driver, very fun at that. So i guess it was just a simple question about a simple part number. And if anyone had info on it. For that i guess i must have misunderstood the reply and the reason for this forum. Mods feel free to terminate me if need be. But as i said it was a simple question and points have no bearing on it. I will look else where. Carry on troops.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Willy, I wasn't trying to be a smart ass. It just an opinion that I hold. Down let opinions stop you from coming back and asking questions. I've learned lot of things on my own over the past 15 years owing a Sprite and learned a lot from others reading this forum as well as AHEXP.com, and MGEXP.com. We're happy to have anyone and everyone who owns a Spridget. And we're happy to help. Rut told you he uses a Crane Ignition, Gerard same thing with him IIRC. Two people whose opinions I trust and value. IF they feel happy with the Crane go for it. I have no experience with electronic ignitions on a Spridget, but I've read lots of stories on peoples points as well as electronic ignitions failing. Hey need a windshield for your Spridget. Got one for free I'm giving away in Dayton, OH. Not sure where McRoberts KY is but guessing close to WV in Coal County. Cleaning out the garage as I'm relocating to Tampa.

PS I do carry a spare dizzy preloaded just in case if I travel.

OP
S

Slick Willy

Sorry Jim no disrepect towards you or any member. Im just at a point to where the internet is not my thing. Seems everytime someone ask a simple ass question it goes 100 miles in a the wrong direction. Not here as bad, thank god. I ask about tires on a military forum. It ended in a Trump and race thing. I do apologize for my out burst, im cranky lately. I thanks for the window offer, mines good. Im only 6 hrs away. Like i said sorry i hope no one is to upset. And thanks for the comments.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Willy, I think you will find the folks on this forum to be very friendly and helpful. Of course we all have our own opinions which are like... Well, you know how that goes. Anyway, do stick around and feel free to share your opinion too.

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I've had my Crane for well over 10 years without a hiccup. If you go with Pertronix, buy two, one for a spare, or keep a dizzy with points already set in the boot.

YMMV

My 2¢