• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Non-Chipping Wheel Well Paint

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
It's getting close to painting my BJ8. Can anyone tell me what can be done to the wheel wells, to keep them from chipping, from what the tires throw up. My understanding is they are to be painted same color of the car. Any product I can tell the body shop to use? I would assume it's a flexable product? Does it go under the paint or over the paint? I'm assuming over? I always get great answers here. Cheers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gifRoger

CraigFL

Jedi Trainee
If you use a polyurethane truck bed liner like Hippoliner, you can tint it to the same color as your body paint. This kind of coating is VERY durable...

Randy Harris

Jedi Warrior
Hey AUSMHLYDUDE: When you find that product, save some for me please. I'll bring my car down and have your guy do my wheel wells at the same time - if you'll lend me a bit of your paint that is. Thanks
Randy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

John Loftus

Darth Vader
Roger,

My wheel wells are already painted but considering using some Glisten PC-clearcoat from Por-15. It comes in Gloss and Semi-gloss (semi-gloss would probably be a bit better for this application). https://www.por15store.com/page/por15/PROD/Topcoats/GPC

I'll be interested in what other suggestions there are. I just opened a topic about this on the Por-15 forum so I'll let you know what I find out.

Cheers,
John

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Glad to see some feedback on this. One more question. What should the finish in the well be? Smooth or semi-textured? I'm thinking it was smooth from the factory, simply painted? If that is the case, I would like to keep the finish as little texture as possible. Thank you all. Roger

Country flag
If you're not going for Concours, you might consider what I've been using on ALL the BMW's I've been working on...

Fusor Wheelhouse coating leaves a textured finish (you can control the texture from very smooth to quite pronounced).

dwm_219.jpg

dwm_224.jpg

dwm_225.jpg

dwm_226.jpg

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Randy Harris, we use the Fusor product all the time inside fenders,doors any place it will not show then paint it body color. No it does not chip!---Fwiw---Keoke

John Loftus

Darth Vader
[ QUOTE ]
Say John, You don't happen to hold stock in that Glisten Products do ya?

[/ QUOTE ]

It appears like it doesn't it! It's funny how you find some product (I was just reading about Glisten PC last week)and then you find a bunch of potential applications for it. I also found out that you can apply it with a brush and supposedly it lays out without brushmarks (one customer said he uses foam brushes for a better result). This will make doing my wheel wells easier (no masking) but of course I will need to experiment to see if it really works. I did ask on the Por-15 forum about using Glisten PC for wheel wells. Following is the thread:
----
I'm interested in using Glisten PC semi-gloss to coat painted automotive wheel wells. The car is still under restoration so the paint is fresh and clean (no wax, dirt, etc.) What prep is needed besides the Marine Clean? Is some scuffing needed (wet sand, fine scotch brite, etc) for best adhesion? Will Glisten protect the color paint from rock chips? Has anyone else used Glisten PC for this application?

Thanks,
John

---
Lightly wet sand the wheel wells. Then wipe down with Xylene. And then apply Glisten PC. At least 2 coats. The Glisten PC will absolutely protect from rock chips. We have many customers who have used Glisten PC is the same situation.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.
Ben