• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Nissan/Datsun engine swap into a 100/4?

OP
BoyRacer

BoyRacer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The deeper I get into this the less certain I am about dong an engine swap. Does anyone out there have a 100 engine they would sell me?

OP
BoyRacer

BoyRacer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I found a correct 4 cylinder Austin engine for my BN1 and so I am going to go with that. But thanks for all the suggestions.

OP
BoyRacer

BoyRacer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I've changed my mind again. HealeyRick pointed out one of the two most common problems with the original 4 banger. Cracked heads. The other is cracked cranks. I'm afraid that the original motor is just too problematic for the way I will undoubtedly stress it and will cost me much more in the long run.
In doing some internet research on 100-4s yesterday, I came across the website for the Healey Factory in Australia that did a tribute to the BN3 and it showed photos of the build. So you can put a 6 banger in a 100-4, with a few mods of course. And, it just so happens that I have a mildly prepped Healey 6 (with triple Webers) attached to a Toyota 5 speed sitting in my shop waiting for a home.
This has got my juices flowing!!!!

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
I've changed my mind again. HealeyRick pointed out one of the two most common problems with the original 4 banger. Cracked heads. The other is cracked cranks. I'm afraid that the original motor is just too problematic for the way I will undoubtedly stress it and will cost me much more in the long run.
In doing some internet research on 100-4s yesterday, I came across the website for the Healey Factory in Australia that did a tribute to the BN3 and it showed photos of the build. So you can put a 6 banger in a 100-4, with a few mods of course. And, it just so happens that I have a mildly prepped Healey 6 (with triple Webers) attached to a Toyota 5 speed sitting in my shop waiting for a home.
Richard,
sounds like a good plan! This should be fun to watch. Keep us posted.
Lin

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I thought I read somewhere that you have to remove the shroud to R&R a six cylinder engine in the BN3?

OP
BoyRacer

BoyRacer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I think you're right. A small price to pay.

Paul S

Country flag
Has anyone done a Datsun 1600 or 2000 engine /trans swap. It appears that Datsun copied the Healey engine exactly.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I just can't see putting that heavy lump of a Healey 6 into a 100. Why wreck the handling? Why don't you just give in and put a nice, lightweight Ford V8 in it with a 5 speed? You can make it old-school looking like mine and solve the heat in the floorboards with Lizard Skin and lots of insulation Can't believe that big Healey motor is going to be putting out much less heat than a V8. I feel like a proselytizer but I'm just really pleased with my swap. The extra power really transforms the Healey. Makes me smile every time I drive it.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Has anyone done a Datsun 1600 or 2000 engine /trans swap. It appears that Datsun copied the Healey engine exactly.

Yes : See my earlier post. LOL

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Crazy thought, but Triumph TR 4 cylinder, same character as a BN1 engine, torque, low revving, about the same power, Lucas electrics. Much easier to find than a BN1-BN2 mill, cheaper parts, lots of go fast bits. I do thi k the carbs are on the wrong side, so that is not so good. The Volvo engine has been used in a lot of British cars, don't know about big Healeys though.