• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Nice Bugeye on Bring A Trailer

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
23320666160_c670a21707_k-940x636.jpg

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1959-austin-healey-bugeye-sprite/

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Looks really nice -- I'm surprised I don't know it, as it's not that far from me.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I look at cars like that and think I really like the hard top look - it really has grown on me over the years - pretty car.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
At $18,000!
Rut

OP
HealeyRick

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I look at cars like that and think I really like the hard top look - it really has grown on me over the years - pretty car.

I had a hard top on my first bugeye in HS with a pretty worn stock engine. When I put it on for winter, you could actually feel it slow the alreay moest acceleration.

nomad

Yoda
At $18,000!
Rut
Agree, Rut. Nice car but plenty of hype in hopes of finding a sucker. BTW the hard top is not the same as the Sebring hard top's. They appear to be the Healey tall side screen top's. And, of course, the engine didn't exist when the factory BE's raced at Sebring.
Kurt

OP
HealeyRick

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Agree, Rut. Nice car but plenty of hype in hopes of finding a sucker. BTW the hard top is not the same as the Sebring hard top's. They appear to be the Healey tall side screen top's. And, of course, the engine didn't exist when the factory BE's raced at Sebring.
Kurt

That seems kind of harsh to me. Nowhere is it billed as a Sebring Sprite replica, it's only said to be "inspired" by the Sebring cars. And with the wire wheels, hardtop, disc brakes and better performance than a stock bugeye I don't think that's being over-hyped. And I don't get why someone bidding on this car for $18,000 is a sucker. Seems reasonable to me with the way classic car prices have been increasing lately. It's a well-done car, with the exception of what look to be 50 series tires, and you'd spend that much trying to build one from scratch. Sometimes I think Spridget and MGB people should take a lesson from the Porsche folks. While they seem to revel in every price increase their cars see, we tend to be too quick to say our cars aren't worth it.

nomad

Yoda
OK, Rick. I'm blaming my hostility on the season :smile:and admit that I've probably lost track of prices! In general most cars listed on " bringatrailer" are after and usually get top dollar with quite a bit of hype.

Kurt

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
+1 :encouragement:

That seems kind of harsh to me. Nowhere is it billed as a Sebring Sprite replica, it's only said to be "inspired" by the Sebring cars. And with the wire wheels, hardtop, disc brakes and better performance than a stock bugeye I don't think that's being over-hyped. And I don't get why someone bidding on this car for $18,000 is a sucker. Seems reasonable to me with the way classic car prices have been increasing lately. It's a well-done car, with the exception of what look to be 50 series tires, and you'd spend that much trying to build one from scratch. Sometimes I think Spridget and MGB people should take a lesson from the Porsche folks. While they seem to revel in every price increase their cars see, we tend to be too quick to say our cars aren't worth it.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Nice Bugeye! Looks a bit like our own Editor Reid's car.

nomad

Yoda
Well, I mentioned to my wife that I was becoming a cynic.....she said "BECOMING!!!":smile:

I guess with "bringatrailer" you are not committed to take the car or go through a big hassle as you are on E-bay. I'm always suspect of car's claimed to be 'rust free' in the north east or, I guess, anywhere. When I ruminate on the price I guess it wouldn't take much to put that into a BE now day's.

I know its a lot nicer than mine!!:rolleye:

I really like that wood floored carriage house! I've seen some pristine older cars come off a wood floor over basement like that.

Kurt.

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Well, I mentioned to my wife that I was becoming a cynic.....she said "BECOMING!!!":smile:

I guess with "bringatrailer" you are not committed to take the car or go through a big hassle as you are on E-bay. I'm always suspect of car's claimed to be 'rust free' in the north east or, I guess, anywhere. When I ruminate on the price I guess it wouldn't take much to put that into a BE now day's.

I know its a lot nicer than mine!!:rolleye:

I really like that wood floored carriage house! I've seen some pristine older cars come off a wood floor over basement like that.

Kurt.

Oh, that car has some rust issues alright, take a look at the one where he's pointing to the fender bead in the rear; not an uncommon issue on these, especially, as you say, in the Northeast. If it's there that near the cockpit, it's likely to eventually rear it's ugly head in the other more rust prone sections of bead elsewhere too.

I like that wood floor too!

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Good price, Market Value it appears to me. The good ones cost that much and more. If they had waited until March / April wit ha hint of Sprng in the air $25k. Tough time t osell a Spridget.

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
A lot of amateurish bodywork will come back to haunt this one. The body seams look to be carved out of filler. This is the market ?

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
I'm not surprised a good Bugeye can bring this kind of money today, but I AM surprised THIS ONE brought that ind of money. I see many problems with the restoration.

My thoughts exactly! I'm happy to see the market headed in this direction and I hope it has a rising tide effect.
Rut

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I'm not up on Bugeyes and maybe this one sold for a premium price, but with the 1275 engine it it surly won't have a problem keeping up with traffic. Looks like a very nice driver and we know it's not concurs. Looks like a nice restoration though and if some Bondo was used to iron out some bumps, not that big of a deal for a non concurs driver. Hopefully the buyer, who must have really liked what he/she saw, will get a lot of enjoyment out of it. JMHO. PJ

nomad

Yoda
Next time I have something interesting to sell I think I want it on "Bring a Trailer"!

Gives me new appreciation for my BE though!!

Kurt.