• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

NICAL 100 Hardtop

OP
Michael Oritt

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Michael.
Looking forward to the pics

Curtis

[/ QUOTE ]

Curtis:

Here are a few pictures--let me see if these go through and if so I will put up a few more.

healey106

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
michael - I tried to see the attachment, and the forum tells me the page has been removed - are you having problems?
I'll look for you and the hardtop at Encounter next week
jim /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

healey106

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Michael - please share with the forum members, how the top looks now that it is painted with all the add-ons. Super job, well done!!!

OP
Michael Oritt

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Michael - please share with the forum members, how the top looks now that it is painted with all the add-ons. Super job, well done!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Jim--

I would be happy to share some photos that I have on a CD but apparently the files are too big. If you or anyone else can either tell me how to reduce them in size or can post them if I send them to you please contact me directly at: awgertoo@aol.com.

healey106

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Michael - I have the same lack of pc savy as you. I have the same problem with the photo files that I have taken. When you get the correct procedure to follow - send it to me also. It would be greatly appreciated - jim /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Here is one of Michael's photos
126880-640001.jpg

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
[ QUOTE ]
Michael - I have the same lack of pc savy as you. I have the same problem with the photo files that I have taken. When you get the correct procedure to follow - send it to me also. It would be greatly appreciated - jim /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Hi guys,
Most if not all digital cameras come with some sort of free software such as "Adobe PhotoDeluxe". I'm sure that this software is readily available to down load on line. By setting the resolution & size of a pic, converting it to jpeg format, & possibly cropping out the excess space in the photo, it can be reduced to the forum's acceptable maximum size.
From one who knows practically nothing about cameras or computers,
D

OP
Michael Oritt

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
wait, there's more
126885-640009.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps some of you will remember my posting that the seller and I overcut the rear window and that it was about 3/8" too short to make a good seal at the bottom of the window opening (see the above image and you'll see how the seal is uneven).

I'm happy to report that Nick Freeman from NICAL sent me a replacement window at no charge which I received about a week ago. I just spent four hours trimming and fitting (four trims, getting incrementally closer each time) the replacement window and it came out great and the window and seal is tight and even all around. BTW I saved the old window and if anyone is ordering a top and wants a pattern with which to begin their trimming (the piece of plexi furnished is about 1" too big all the way around, but starting with something approximately right makes it a lot easier) I will be happy to send one using heavy brown paper.

I've also been working on fitting the side curtains and they are very tedious--even with the windshield fully raked back the angle along the front edge of the curtains is too acute. I have put 1/4" collars on the rear side curtain bracket to close up the front angle but the seal along the bottom edge of the sidecurtain leaves a bit to be desired. I am playing with attaching wider weatherstripping along this edge to conceal this.

When I get the curtains fit I will post a shot or two, but in any case I am happy to report that Freeman kept up his end of the deal.

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
Just curious - why doesn't Nical install the rear window or a least have it cut to exact size?

Bruce

Simon TR4a

Jedi Knight
My apologies for butting in, I like your hardtop, but the picture with a whole bunch of immaculate Healeys just make me drool!
I have always loved the looks, and was impressed so much at the age of 14 by an ice blue over white 3000 which spun its wire wheels pulling away from a light that I still remember it. But the BRG looks great, the red is terrific....they all look superb!

I'll just have to keep buying those lottery tickets!
Simon.

OP
Michael Oritt

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Just curious - why doesn't Nical install the rear window or a least have it cut to exact size?

Bruce

[/ QUOTE ]

Bruce--

I can think of at least three reasons, all to do with fit:

One, the top is quite flexible and the rear window cannot be installed without the top being mounted to a car or at least onto a jig of some kind.

Two, once the rear window is installed the top becomes much more rigid and since each car is somewhat different I think that the top's fit to the car would be compromised. Put differently, it is easier to adjust the size/fit of the window with the top on the car than it would be to adjust the top to a different car with the window already installed.

3. I don't think that the window opening could be cut out of the raw molded FG top with enough repeatable precision to allow for pre-cutting a window. When I recently installed the replacement rear window the last two attempts at fitting resulted in trims of less than 1/8" but they were the difference between the window going in or not. And remember that I had to do the reinstallation because Freeman and I had overtrimmed the first window--only by 1/4"-3/8" at most, and that resulted in a gap between the lower edge of the window and the seal.

There's also the issue of money--the top is already expensive and Freeman would have to charge just that more.

If I could fit the window then surely anyone can--it just takes a bit of time.

CharlieCarpenter

"If I could fit the window then surely anyone can--it just takes a bit of time."

Michael: About how long was the total job to fit the top then the window?? We have the Florida/Georgia version of the Three Stooges: Marion Brantley, Charlie Asbell and Charlie Carpenter about to tackle this project in the next few weeks. Any special advice for us???
Thanks

OP
Michael Oritt

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
[quoteAbout how long was the total job to fit the top then the window?? We have the Florida/Georgia version of the Three Stooges: Marion Brantley, Charlie Asbell and Charlie Carpenter about to tackle this project in the next few weeks. Any special advice for us???
Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

On the top itself I'm not sure if my experience/time would be relevant because the two tops and methods of mounting to the cars are quite different as I recall. Nevertheless Nick and I spent most of Thursday at Conclave mounting the hardtop securing hardware, fastening brackets, gaskets, etc to the top itself.

He and I spent about six hours on Friday installing the rear window. As I recall we fit/trimmed it five or six times, each time getting closer to correct (or so we thought). I do not know whether the BJ top shell is more rigid than the one for the 100 but a big problem (beyond the overtrimming) was that we "pushed" one side of the window opening a bit higher than the other and when we finished the window was not "square" and the whole top was high on the right side.

When I got home I pulled out the window and installed the stays very carefully, making sure that the opening was correct and they stiffened things up enough to where I could put the window back in without distorting the whole top. However the window was still too small.

When I got the replacement window from Nick I was a bit ahead of the game as I had a fairly accurate template from which to begin. Nevertheless it took four tries and about four hours.

The good news is that the moldings become more forgiving and easier to work with on each fitting. I used lots of Windex and several small screwdrivers to pry, push, etc. etc. I think it might have been helpful to have soaked all the rubber in warm soapy water for a while before starting.

Again I don't know anything about the BJ top, but on mine there is an "insert" rubber that goes into a small channel on the moldings after the window is in place. It really locks everything up tight. It requires a special tool to zip the insert into the molding--I was lucky to find one at an auto store and you may have to go to an auto glass shop to find or even see one. If you need one I will be happy to send you mine--it makes an otherwise impossible job very easy.

Lastly, I think that if you send Marion out for pizza you and the other Charlie should do it just fine. There is really only room for two people, though another gopher to pick up all the little pry tools, etc. might come in handy.

Have fun and let me know if I can help (from a distance). It is really rewarding when it all comes together.

CharlieCarpenter

Thanks Michael: We just may be calling for advice. Maybe you could lend that little tool to Marion at the South East Classic if you are going to be there?? It would be helpful for sure.

Thanks again
Charlie Carpenter

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Bruce

[/ QUOTE ]

Bruce--

I can think of at least three reasons, all to do with fit:

There's also the issue of money--the top is already expensive and Freeman would have to charge just that more.

If I could fit the window then surely anyone can--it just takes a bit of time.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I first saw yours I thought I would like one and now that you have described the installation I may do this some time in the future.

Thanks again.

Bruce