• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Spitfire New to BCF - New to Triumph ownership

lilifer_13

Freshman Member
Country flag
Hello!

Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Lily and I am the new(ish) owner of a 1978 Triumph Spitfire that I call Birdie. This car belonged to my aunt/godmother and came to me by way of California, where my aunt lived most of her life before relocating back to Minnesota. She purchased this in 1992 and was the second Triumph she owned (the first was a '74).

It had been sitting in my uncle's pull barn for 8 years when I purchased it from her last July but fired right up. It needs a lot of love but we spent last summer getting the fluids changed and brakes redone and are now thinking about what's next. (Tires, then electrical likely)

I've never worked on a car before but have a good brain for mechanicals and love working with my hands. Just planning to take it slow and leave things that are over my head to the professionals. :smile:

Thank you in advance for answering the completely novice questions I will ask. I am real good at googling, researching and watching YouTube but sometimes it's just nice to ask for advice from those who have walked the path before.

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_2204.png
    IMG_2204.png
    901.2 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_2206.png
    IMG_2206.png
    896.7 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_2207.png
    IMG_2207.png
    1 MB · Views: 80

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Lily - welcome to BCF. Great looking Spit you have there; we'll be interested in following your improvement adventure.

Here's a good overview of "waking up" an old British car. Specifically for MG, but many applicable points for your Spitfire.

(use the Download button)

Good to have you with us.
Tom M.

OP
lilifer_13

lilifer_13

Freshman Member
Country flag
Lily - welcome to BCF. Great looking Spit you have there; we'll be interested in following your improvement adventure.

Here's a good overview of "waking up" an old British car. Specifically for MG, but many applicable points for your Spitfire.

(use the Download button)

Good to have you with us.
Tom M.
Downloaded. A thorough list indeed. Appreciate you linking it. It's going to be a long process but hey, we have nothing but time these days...

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Hello and welcome to the forum

Great looking Spitfire.

Tires are a must if it has been sitting that long. They do not seem to have the shelf life they use too have or we have become more conscious of the danger of out of date tires.

David

Trevor Triumph

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Welcome to the forum. A lot of people here know a lot about a lot - not just cars. Lots of willing people to advise and commiserate.

I agree tires need attention. Finding proper tires can be a problem - not a lot on the market now in the proper size. Classic Motorsports magazine has articles regarding tires for our vintage cars.

I too, was a novice some twenty years ago. I met a neighbor and member of the local Triumph club who guided me through a restoration of two Spitfires. Which brings to another suggestion: spend the money and connect with a Triumph specific club or a multi- marque British car club.

Once again, Welcome.
T.T.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
The Spitfire is a great little car! You will get all the help you need here on BCF. Our Triumph forum is very active.

OP
lilifer_13

lilifer_13

Freshman Member
Country flag
Welcome to the forum. A lot of people here know a lot about a lot - not just cars. Lots of willing people to advise and commiserate.

I agree tires need attention. Finding proper tires can be a problem - not a lot on the market now in the proper size. Classic Motorsports magazine has articles regarding tires for our vintage cars.

I too, was a novice some twenty years ago. I met a neighbor and member of the local Triumph club who guided me through a restoration of two Spitfires. Which brings to another suggestion: spend the money and connect with a Triumph specific club or a multi- marque British car club.

Once again, Welcome.
T.T.
First off, thank you for the warm welcome!

I am definitely on the hunt for a local club. I think that would be both motivating and informative.

Thank you for the tip re: tires. We'd already done a bit of poking around and were hitting lots of dead ends so appreciate the lead.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Congrats and welcome-of course you should make the car reliable and safe to drive, looks like the paint would benefit from a quick polish and it might perk right up, Maguires Ultimate Polish is available at most local auto parts stores and works well.