• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New to a Sprite, oil change questions...

OP
robdmau

robdmau

Re: New to a Sprite, oil change questions...

Sarastro said:
Well, I sense a long "discussion" of the ZDDP issue coming up, so I'll make one posting and quit.

Here is my take on the subject, and here is another. I'm more than a little worried that overconcern about the ZDDP issue has caused people to use oils that have a high ZDDP concentration but just are not right in other respects. First, almost all the higher viscosity motor oils have Zinc in the 1000-1200 ppm range, which is more than you need, so it shouldn't be an issue at all (take a look at the data sheets for them; many are on line). Racing oil is expensive, and may not be appropriate for street use; there's a difference between what you'd use for an engine that is run very hard and torn down often, and one that has to go on for a long time in a dirty and thermally varied environment on a single charge of oil.

Just get a good quality 20W50 (or a little lighter for winter use) and you'll be fine.

Uh, also, it'll take about four quarts, plus or minus a bit, to drain and refill. Buy five; because of leakage, you'll need to add some periodically.

Thanks for your input, I know royal purple is over kill. I just wanted to treat her with some high end oil.

For anyone else out there, will it hurt to run "restore" engine cleaner before I do an oil change or should I not even bother?

bthompson

Jedi Warrior

If the engine is running as it is, I wouldn't use "Restore," 'twere me. Unless you've been filling the crankcase with canola oil and kerosene, running an astringent like that might play havoc with bearings, or put bits of sludge in suspension just long enough to plug an oil passage. (Also, LBC sludge is an effective internal stop-leak!) Modern detergent oils work well enough to keep the crud down. When you get stuff sorted out later, if you're still curious you can drop the pan and check the crud level.

IMHO. YMMV. :wink:

OP
robdmau

robdmau

bthompson said:
If the engine is running as it is, I wouldn't use "Restore," 'twere me. Unless you've been filling the crankcase with canola oil and kerosene, running an astringent like that might play havoc with bearings, or put bits of sludge in suspension just long enough to plug an oil passage. (Also, LBC sludge is an effective internal stop-leak!) Modern detergent oils work well enough to keep the crud down. When you get stuff sorted out later, if you're still curious you can drop the pan and check the crud level.

cool thanks, the original owner said it was rebuilt about 5 years ago... sat for the last 3 so i hope its not too bad.

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag

robdmau said:
bthompson said:

cool thanks, the original owner said it was rebuilt about 5 years ago... sat for the last 3 so i hope its not too bad.

Shouldn't be if it was kept dry, I'd expect that you are probably good.

OP
robdmau

robdmau

tdskip said:
Shouldn't be if it was kept dry, I'd expect that you are probably good.

cool thanks

OP
robdmau

robdmau

Well I'm back for more help... I have never done an oil change on a sprite before and I'm stuck. How in the heck does one get the oil filter out? I think I found it on the same side as the oil plug but there is frame or metal support just a few inches from the nut. There is not a lot of room and I'm a big guy so crawling around under a low car up on ramps is still pretty small :frown:

Should it all just come out after I unscrew it? (this seems messy, that might be why there is so much gunk under the car lol)

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag

I'm not sure when the spin-on filters were introduced, but from your description, I think you have the cartridge filter rather than the spin-on.

There's no real mystery--you've just gotta get in there with a stubby wrench or a small crescent wrench. Once you get it loose, oil will leak everywhere, including out the hole where the bolt goes (it's a bolt, not a nut). I find it easier to reach from above. The real fun part is getting it back together--not too difficult if you have three arms, normal length, but as thin as a six-year-old girl's. Getting the bolt started is the part I find hardest--sometimes you can reach a finger in between the can and the bracket (the part that stays on the engine) and get the bolt where it is supposed to go.

Be sure to put a pan under it while you work on it, and a lot of newspapers.

OP
robdmau

robdmau

Sarastro said:
I'm not sure when the spin-on filters were introduced, but from your description, I think you have the cartridge filter rather than the spin-on.

There's no real mystery--you've just gotta get in there with a stubby wrench or a small crescent wrench. Once you get it loose, oil will leak everywhere, including out the hole where the bolt goes (it's a bolt, not a nut). I find it easier to reach from above. The real fun part is getting it back together--not too difficult if you have three arms, normal length, but as thin as a six-year-old girl's. Getting the bolt started is the part I find hardest--sometimes you can reach a finger in between the can and the bracket (the part that stays on the engine) and get the bolt where it is supposed to go.

Be sure to put a pan under it while you work on it, and a lot of newspapers.

I'll tell you what, that was the biggest pain in the but!!! wow, got it on there though. Now I'm a little worried, the filter cam with one filter n the bag with the filer, and 3 more in its own bag. I only found 1 filter that came out :frown: so I only put one back in. Everything seems to be ok, a little leakage where the oil ran down the frame rail but ya. Now this royal purple may be a good oil but man it sucks trying to see the level on the tip stick. Like really hard, its so clear when its warm you cannot really tell...

sqbsprite

Jedi Trainee
Country flag

Castrol claims their Syntech 20w-50 has higher zinc for classic cars and specifically says that it does not meet the catalyst requirements for post '93 cars which is why they took zinc out. Here is the link. https://www.castrol.com/castrol/genericarticle.do?categoryId=82915470&contentId=7032644

I think Castrol is much less expensive than Royal Purple. As for me, I just add half a quart of Rislone ZDDP additive to regular 20w-50 Castrol GTX. So far no problems.

OP
robdmau

robdmau

good idea, I'll have to look into that option later on.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Well, if she is run real hard and then put in the garage right away I get a small spot. Otherwise no leaks.

OP
robdmau

robdmau

So while I was changing the oil I noticed a drain plug on the tranny. How often should this be changed out?

Any recommendations on what kind of oil I should put in there?

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag

robdmau said:

20/50 engine oil

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

No one drains trannys. Gesh.

Change every 50 thousand or so, top up yearly. Check more often if it is a leaker.

OP
robdmau

robdmau

JPSmit said:
robdmau said:

20/50 engine oil

Just regular engine oil huh? cool thanks

OP
robdmau

robdmau

jlaird said:
No one drains trannys. Gesh.

Change every 50 thousand or so, top up yearly. Check more often if it is a leaker.

lol cannot tell if that was meant to be funny or not. Doesn't look to be a leaker but it has sat for a while so maybe I'll tackle that next...

How about the rear dif?
should I even bother with that?
If so, what are oil recommendations?