I have a 1300cc spitfire engine that I am tuning.
I put new needles in the car last night. I had needles in the SU carbs for a 1147 and wanted to change them to the right needles.
After changing the needles I was getting no power out of the back carb and the power was down on the front carb.
So I know I have to redial in the jets.
I played around with them and tried to do it by sound and feel and got close but the back carb still just seemed weak. So I reset the carbs to 12 flats from stop and started the lift the piston trick. Here is what I found
The front carb would die if I started to lift the piston. So that means it is to lean (I think) and I need to go anti clockwise (this I remember for sure) with the nut.
I turned that carb anticlockwise about 15 flats I bet or more and I am sure I was at the end of the nut and still it wanted to die when I lifted the piston.
So the question is what is causing this? The carb has a new rebuild on it with about 300 miles.
The next question is why does the back carb not seem to sound the same. I put the air meter on both carbs and got them air flowing at the same rate.
I can't seem to get this carb to lean out. It just seems like it is always dogging when I rev it.
I do plan on taking the colortune out tonight and working with the carbs again but hope you guys have some good suggestions as to what may be going on.
I put new needles in the car last night. I had needles in the SU carbs for a 1147 and wanted to change them to the right needles.
After changing the needles I was getting no power out of the back carb and the power was down on the front carb.
So I know I have to redial in the jets.
I played around with them and tried to do it by sound and feel and got close but the back carb still just seemed weak. So I reset the carbs to 12 flats from stop and started the lift the piston trick. Here is what I found
The front carb would die if I started to lift the piston. So that means it is to lean (I think) and I need to go anti clockwise (this I remember for sure) with the nut.
I turned that carb anticlockwise about 15 flats I bet or more and I am sure I was at the end of the nut and still it wanted to die when I lifted the piston.
So the question is what is causing this? The carb has a new rebuild on it with about 300 miles.
The next question is why does the back carb not seem to sound the same. I put the air meter on both carbs and got them air flowing at the same rate.
I can't seem to get this carb to lean out. It just seems like it is always dogging when I rev it.
I do plan on taking the colortune out tonight and working with the carbs again but hope you guys have some good suggestions as to what may be going on.
Hey Guest!