• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New old multimeter

D

Deleted member 8987

Somebody gave me a new one of those red HF units when they were giving them away at HF. Died. No fixing it. Trash.

My main unit is this:
simpson_260-81.jpg

Oddly, available "new" at Amazon for $301. The outfit shown is $277. Cases extra (mine has the old style case with manual).

My secondary is this Triplett 630:
TTT630_final.jpg

Me and digital instruments and sound systems do not play well together.

I remember when I did FDR final test and repair at Sundstrand, had nothing do do, went into the dungeon....and shelf upon shelf of early "digital" meters with code wheels. Couldn't read them. Anything other than dead stable voltage the wheels just spun and spun, back and forth. Think powered odometer in your car, but bigger numbers.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
FWIW, Nuts & Volts had a recent article where the author built a precision voltage reference and tested (among other meters), an old Simpson 630NA. It was off by less than 0.5% at 2.5 volts!

YakkoWarner

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
We have a Frys here in Austin TX area that still carries a lot of the test equip and discrete components that RS used to have. Oddly enough the small town about 15 miles east of Austin still has an open Radio Shack store, I popped in once mainly out of curiosity and nostalgia but it is now just a retail outlet for other brands and some old stock from the former days. They had mostly cell phones, electronic toys and very bottom end consumer audio stuff - there were a handful of components still hanging on the wall but certainly nothing like what they used to be.