• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New Member - The Brit from North Carolina

CrosbyA

Freshman Member
Country flag
Hi everyone. My name is Nick and I’m a Brit originally from Norwich UK but have worked and lived in the USA since 2002. Currently residing in Hillsborough North Carolina. I took early retirement a couple of years ago and have been searching for a British sports car as a restoration project. Never really found anything appealing until about a couple of months ago when a friend of a friend made me aware of a local lady trying to sell her late husbands collection of partially restored vehicles. I reached out to her and after several visits and discussions I am the proud owner of TWO TR3s in very different states of repair.

The ‘Black One’ actually turned out to be a 1961 TR3A in British Racing Green when I’d pressure washed the inch of accumulated dirt off it. However the engine is earlier, around 1956 vintage according to the serial number. Unfortunately it was partially dismantled back in 2010 for repair and is missing a cylinder head. The previous owner owned a body repair shop and had totally restored the frame and bodywork several years prior so my challenge with this one is purely the mechanical and electrical systems. No big deal just time, effort and sourcing a few missing parts.

The ‘White One’ is a 1956 TR3 small mouth rolling carcass with a mass of spare parts in boxes that need to be identified and catalogued. The engine had been worked on but never run and the serial number suggests it’s 1961 vintage. In fact the number is about 350 higher than the commission number of the black one so it may have been associated originally with that car. I’m going to get the heritage certificates for both to see if there is any originality or if it’s just pure coincidence. Makes me wonder if the white one was originally purchased to be a donor car for the black one. Frame is in excellent condition and has been powder coated. Bodywork is in great shape and loosely fitted. This one is going to be a 3-5 year project for sure.

Happy to be in the ‘club’ and looking forward to picking a few learned brains as the projects progress!

Attachments

• IMG_3607.heic
    1 MB · Views: 70
  • IMG_3609.heic
    1.1 MB · Views: 90
  • IMG_3562.heic
    2.1 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_3717.heic
    1.6 MB · Views: 48

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Hello Nick

Welcome to the forum.

A great find to start your LBC collection.
I worked in Durham a long time ago and in Greensboro more recently. In fact my TR3 came from that area.

It would seem more likely the engine with a number several hundred higher than the body would be correct for the 61 TR3A as the engine numbers ran few ahead of the body numbers.

Your photos would not show up on my computer as they are heic format.

The Triumph section will be a great resource for your TR3A journey.

David